Dyeing Hair a More Vibrant Red Over Duller Red Color

My hair is dark brown; I dyed it red a while ago and it's now faded a lot. If I was to dye over it again, but this time with a more vibrant red would it affect the outcome as I already have a funny colour of red on the hair.

By tfaw from England, Luton

My sister used to be a beautician before retiring, and she instructed me to never color my hair more often than every three months. I followed that advice and sometimes went longer between the coloring. I know I never used the same color of dye two times in a row, and I never had any problems following the advice given by my sister.

Yes you will have an issue. I do my hair about every 6 weeks. I am a lap swimmer and even with caps on, the hair color leaves quickly. Outdoor swimming in the sun is even quicker at color loss.

I mix a couple colors together befor applying to hair. You may get skrew ups, so you know which colors not to put together. I am a red head naturally, but faded with pool use. So I use 3 shades of red--strawberry red, light red and medium red. They pull different colors from my highlight and never looks like a dye job.

Your after care is just as important. When applying the aftercare lotion/creme, I put it on and it stays on a couple hours. Makes the hair soft and colors stay in longer.

Every week take a day where you lather a conditioner for your coloring. And you don't always have to use shampoo for hair washing daily. Just a small dab of conditioner to wet hair in the shower is great.

Ok, I wouldn't follow the advice to not do more than every 3 months. I don't know one hair person that would make anyone wait that long, let alone themselves! I dye my roots every 3-4 weeks and I still have all my hair.

That being said, red will fade quickly, no matter what your base or natural color was. I would recommend that you go to a beauty supply store and talk to someone there or even try a website called Makeupalley.com, they have a hair board (the one indicated with the little comb) and they give great advice over there!

I destroyed my hair by trying a really dark brown, then trying to "fix" it using a color remover. My hair came out in the words of my son, as German Shepherd. It was really dark in places and a brassy blond in others. After searching the web I found Robert Craig hair color. It is awesome. It is very gentle, comes in a powder you mix with water (no, it is not henna). It covered my hair and did not make it like straw, it actually nourished it. I have been using it for over a year and will never change.