Dyeing Hair a More Vibrant Red Over Duller Red Color

My hair is dark brown; I dyed it red a while ago and it's now faded a lot. If I was to dye over it again, but this time with a more vibrant red would it affect the outcome as I already have a funny colour of red on the hair.

By tfaw from England, Luton

My sister used to be a beautician before retiring, and she instructed me to never color my hair more often than every three months. I followed that advice and sometimes went longer between the coloring. I know I never used the same color of dye two times in a row, and I never had any problems following the advice given by my sister.

Yes you will have an issue. I do my hair about every 6 weeks. I am a lap swimmer and even with caps on, the hair color leaves quickly. Outdoor swimming in the sun is even quicker at color loss.

I mix a couple colors together befor applying to hair. You may get skrew ups, so you know which colors not to put together. I am a red head naturally, but faded with pool use. So I use 3 shades of red--strawberry red, light red and medium red. They pull different colors from my highlight and never looks like a dye job.

Your after care is just as important. When applying the aftercare lotion/creme, I put it on and it stays on a couple hours. Makes the hair soft and colors stay in longer.

Every week take a day where you lather a conditioner for your coloring. And you don't always have to use shampoo for hair washing daily. Just a small dab of conditioner to wet hair in the shower is great.

Ok, I wouldn't follow the advice to not do more than every 3 months. I don't know one hair person that would make anyone wait that long, let alone themselves! I dye my roots every 3-4 weeks and I still have all my hair.

That being said, red will fade quickly, no matter what your base or natural color was. I would recommend that you go to a beauty supply store and talk to someone there or even try a website called Makeupalley.com, they have a hair board (the one indicated with the little comb) and they give great advice over there!

I destroyed my hair by trying a really dark brown, then trying to "fix" it using a color remover. My hair came out in the words of my son, as German Shepherd. It was really dark in places and a brassy blond in others. After searching the web I found Robert Craig hair color. It is awesome. It is very gentle, comes in a powder you mix with water (no, it is not henna). It covered my hair and did not make it like straw, it actually nourished it. I have been using it for over a year and will never change.

Dyeing Red Hair
Dyeing Hair Red
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringJanuary 26, 2011
gray haired woman
Dyeing My Hair Gray
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink