Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making Powdered Milk Taste Better

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Collection of dried and canned foods including box of powdered milk.

Using powdered milk can help you save money. It is also a good backup when you run out of regular milk. But powdered milk does not always taste as good to most of us. This is a guide about making powdered milk taste better.

Solutions: Making Powdered Milk Taste Better

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Making Powdered Milk Taste Better

Think about it. What is lacking from powered milk? (Answer: Fat) So, I add heavy cream to the reconstituted milk. My formula: 1 pouch powdered milk, 3 3/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup heavy cream. You can play around with it to find the mixture that suits you best. I even poured it into the regular milk jug without telling anyone. And guess what? No one could tell the difference!

By Monica from Bon Aqua, TN

Article: Making Powdered Milk Taste Better

Mix Whole Milk With Powdered

When my son comes to visit, he always buys whole milk at store. As soon as possible, dilute it half and half with powdered milk. I have an extra whole milk bottle and mix it half and half with 2 percent and powdered milk. If it stands a half a day, it tastes just like whole milk and a lot fresher. I have been doing this since he was a child, he is now 40 years old and a lot healthier for it.

By Janene from Navarre, Ohio

Add Vanilla

When I was a kid, my mother would reconstitute the powdered milk and add some real vanilla (not artificial vanilla) flavoring. This would be served ice cold after a few hours. Shake well. Putting it in a glass refrigerator container might make it taste better than keeping it in plastic. If I can tell the difference between iced tea in plastic as opposed to glass, then reconstituted milk may also show the difference.

I purchased some nice reasonable glass refrigerator beverage containers at Bed Bath & Beyond recently. Or, you could even re-use the glass bottles that the grocery stores have for organic milk.

By Holly

Reduce Fat In Milk Gradually

I have used dry milk for over 40 years. At first it was because it was free. Then it was because I thought that the low fat was better for my kids once they were no longer babies. Whole Fat Milk 4% rate (8% of total calories) seems like overload.

At first, I had to mix with whole milk, but gradually reduce fat milk to 2% and then 1%. After my family became accustomed to the taste, they quit complaining. Took about 10 weeks of the gradual reduction of mixed in fat. However, the last two kids just drank it always like everyone else. When they went to school and were given whole milk for lunch, they complained about that. LOL

If milk is to drink, always make it at least 12 hours in advance and refrigerate. It doesn't seem to make so much difference on cereal and no dif at all in cooking, unless the recipe needs the fat.

Use Warm Water In Powdered Milk

Same here as far as mixing with whole milk when you're starting to use it. I also found that mixing the milk using really warm water helped it dissolve better and, after chilling, it tasted a lot better.

Add A Carrot

A friend who had been in the Navy told me that they had to use powdered milk when out on cruise. They mixed the milk, put a fresh peeled carrot in and then chilled the milk. I was told that this made it taste like fresh milk, plus added beta carotene to it. I tried it, however, and although it did improve the taste, it was still just so-so. It would still be cheaper to try this way than to mix half whole milk.

Use Non Dairy Creamer And Artificial Sweetener

I use powdered milk daily for my cereal. I don't care for whole milk to drink. I mix 1 cup powdered milk with approximately 1/3 cup of powdered coffee creamer and 1 package artificial sweetener to make 64 ounces. My sugar is restricted. You can use a small amount of sugar. Thoroughly chilled and made ahead of time, it tastes great to me.

Add Flavored Mixes Or Banana

If at all possible, I'd add hot chocolate or strawberry flavoring mix to it for kids drinks. In cereals, I'd also use a banana with COLD powdered milk. Try to buy it from a newer or better store so it is not OLD. Old will taste bad because it isn't fresh dried. In foods, one cannot tell the difference.

Letting it set overnight works for us, AND mixing it exactly as it suggests, not too strong, and with ICE WATER. Try finding a better brand than the cheapest. I find that canned fat-free milk for cooking is more reliable, but haven't compared the price. Powdered milk really isn't that cheap, the best I recall. I keep it only for emergencies mostly. I will be using it this next month if given any, because I have NO money for food, guaranteed.

By Lynda

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!