Browsing: Painting Laminate Furniture

Painting Laminate Furniture

I have a desk made out of pressed wood. Can I paint over this without bad results? and what is the best paint to use? The color is coming off and I would really like to paint it or varnish it. Thank you.

By Mary from Fort Wayne, IN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

What do you mean by "pressed wood"? Particle board, the stuff that is made out of sawdust and glue? What is the surface? I have cupboard doors made out of this that have a paper like covering. I have painted over these successfully with ordinary latex paint. On the decorating shows on TV they always paint furniture made of this stuff with regular latex paint, same stuff you use on your walls. If you want a glossy surface, you will have to go to an enamel or oil base paint.

August 14, 2010 Flag

My daughter has recently purchased a home where the previous owners left a couple of cheap bookcases. These would be handy for storage in any one of a number of areas, but probably mostly in her daughters' play room.

She was asking what she might be able to do to give them a better look. I don't think that they are wood, but some kind of laminate over pressed wood. Can she paint them? Or are there decals or something that would stick to them to dress them up a bit? Please give me your ideas.

By Wondernana from Clovis, CA

Answers:

Painting Laminate Furniture

You can lightly sand with a fine grit sandpaper. The higher the number the finer the grit. For example 220 grit will leave a finer scratch than 180 grit. I am not a fan of Kilz. I used it once on a table. The top coat would not cover the white Kilz. Had to strip every bit of paint down to the bare wood. There are better primers you can use than Kilz. After sanding wipe off all the dust, apply a primer then paint with the top coat (11/11/2009)

By foxrun41

Painting Laminate Furniture

To paint over laminate, just clean, then use a coat of "Gripper", better than Kilz. Glidden Gripper is great. I never had to sand. This will adhere to the laminate and almost can't be sanded off. Then almost any type paint will adhere to that. I am also learning by experiences, some good, some bad, but now I know. After the Gripper and paint, then top with Minwax Poly-crylic in a can, not spray and apply with a sponge, not a brush, to avoid brush lines. (07/11/2010)

By tercarr0l

November 10, 2009 Flag

How do I get paint to stick to the shiny laminate finish (only on the top) of my dresser? The rest is wood and I know I can refinish it, but what about the top? Help!

Jeanne from Austin, TX

Answers:

Painting Laminate Furniture

I agree with the Kilz option, it is by far one of the best primers on the market. Gives you a surface for your paint to adhere to. Kilz has come through when other primers haven't. I had a rental property that I used it to "seal" in the odor from animal pee, by painting the floor with it before having carpet installed. It was advice from my carpet installer, and it worked! They also now have a line of paint of their own. Not just primers. (11/02/2008)

By GregS

Painting Laminate Furniture

Fine sand paper is what I've used in the past, then Kilz, then the paint. Good luck! (11/04/2008)

By Shosha

Painting Laminate Furniture

My son wanted to paint an ugly laminate chest for his room. They now make spray paint that coats anything from slick plastic to laminate. The 3-drawer dresser took only 2 cans and it's beautiful! We bought the paint at Walmart. (11/06/2008)

By Chadwyck

Painting Laminate Furniture

Yep, sandpaper and Kilz (in that order). Just remember to wipe the area clean before putting on the primer and paint. (11/17/2008)

By SweetCali40

November 2, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Laminate Furniture
Painting Laminate Furniture
Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingAugust 14, 2010
Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
Painting Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring
Laminate Dresser
Cleaning Laminate Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 8:33:19 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.