Install a Programmable Thermostat

Last year we replaced our old thermostat with a new programmable one. Since we're here, and awake at different times, we've not set it for basic times to run, so we just hit the buttons when we walk by. It's quicker to shut on and off than our old thermostat.

We've already saved a lot of money by switching out our old one for the newer version, actually it's already more than paid for itself. We can't believe the difference in our power bill than this time last year! If we'd have known the difference it would make, we'd have done this much sooner!

By Terri from NV

This ia a really good idea, but it isn't the programmable thermostat itself that saves the money, it's turning down your thermostat when you are away from home or sleeping. So, if you can't afford a new thermostat, just use your hand to turn down the one you have before bed and leaving for the day!

Great way to save money. I wanted to share this I was shopping online yesterday trying to buy for my son a Super Mario Bros Game. I stumbled upon a site called EZWINGAME. They are running a free contest this week for a free Nintendo. Wanted to know if anyone has heard of this site..and what they think. Thanks, July

You can have mine. The cost of batteries is annoying, and it keeps thinking we leave at 4am no matter how well I follow the instructions. Waking up to a 60 degree house is no fun. The delay is still there, you may just be more conscious of it. I hate it, and would trade for an old one any day!

I got a programmable thermostat two yrs ago and love it. It's great to see the readout of the exact temperature in the house. I, too, have noticed a considerable drop in my winter gas bill since installed. I like the complete control it allows me.

In two years I have still not had to replace any batteries. I use only alkaline.

November 24, 2008 Flag

To save money and help save the environment, install a programmable thermostat. With a programmable thermostat you can save up to 35% per year on heating and cooling bills by automatically adjusting your temperature settings while you're asleep or away from home.

By Kathy

Answers:

Thermostats

Install dual setback thermostats in your home to automatically turn down your furnace during sleeping hours or at times when certain rooms are not in use.

By Joesgirl (01/03/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Programmable Thermostats

One of the smartest things we ever did was to install our programmable thermostat. They are much more accurate than the other types.

By Robin (03/10/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Helpful Thermostat Hints

Heat-producing fixtures and appliances may cause your thermostat to keep your home uncomfortably cool. To solve this problem, place your lamps, TV, and similar items at least 3 feet from the thermostat.

Lower the thermostat several degrees when entertaining three or more guests. The combined body heat will keep everyone warm.

By Joesgirl (03/19/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingNovember 24, 2008
Adjust a home's thermostat.
Frugal Tips for Keeping Warm in the Winter
Man installing a toilet.
Installing a Toilet
Drip Irrigation System Watering Flowers
Installing a Drip Irrigation System
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
🎄