Upholstery that Holds Up to Cat Scratching

Do cats like to claw on microfiber furniture? My kitty scratched up my leather sofa. I think mainly the leather was too soft. I am looking for the most resistant or at least the least appealing type of upholstery to cats. Any ideas? Anyone have experience with microfiber? Or, are there types of leather that are fairly resistant to cat claws as far as when they are pushing off, etc?

Terri from Yakima, WA

If you're talking about your cat simply jumping on and off of the sofa the fabric should be a heavy duty weave type. If you're talking about your baby actually 'sharpen claws kneading' then no fabric is resistant.

One thing you could try if you really want leather or microfiber is get the little sets of rubber kitty claw covers that are super glued to each claw. I am not sure how often they have to be put back on again but a couple of people have told me they work well for their cats. I guess they come in fancy colors, too ;-)

My cat likes to sharpen his claws on the arms and backs of my couch. I put nice throws over the arms and the couches are backed against the wall and so this keeps the cat from using them as scratching posts. Another chair is so close to an end table and has a magazine basket and waste basket on the other side, so there is no place to get a good scratch.

I found it easier to do this than to try to train the cat.

I bought an office chair at Goodwill that my cat scratches it's claws on constantly. No damage at all. It has to be about 10 years old though. It is one of those textured patterns like you find a lot in rugs, especially office rugs (beige and with brown specks).

My cats use their scratch pole and/or a nice piece of carpet that was offcut when I got new carpet in - I also used to have a couple of sample pieces of carpet that I got from the carpet dealer fairly cheaply - it's fairly easy to colour co-ordinate this way

I believe there is double sided sticky tape you can put on your upholstery which will deter the cat. They sell it at many pet supply stores. I need to find something to cover my doorways as my cat likes to scratch wood. UGH~

Home and Garden Home Improvement FurnitureDecember 30, 2008
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Cockatoo is Scratching Itself
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Scratching Its Neck