Clothing StainsCleaning

Cleaning Mold Stains on a Football Jersey

My son's football jersey got mold on it. I tried Shout and Tilex and it did not work. I can't use bleach, because I have hard water. Please help. I do not want him to use it for play. Thanks.

By Pattiwagon from Hornby, NY

Why can't you use bleach because you have hard water? I have hard water and use bleach with no problem. Give it a try, just don't use a lot of bleach.

Weather or not you can use bleach with hard water, depends on the amount of iron in the water. When I was young and had a small baby we moved to a town that had really bad water and the first time I went to launder a load of whites, I just automatically put bleach in the water, after putting the clothes in, and shut the lid. Imagine my surprise when the load was done and everything, including my husband's underwear was a weird peachy color.

Fortunately for me there was a woman in the state that did a morning talk show on the radio, about homemaking things and one of her sponsors was a product called Miracle White and how great it was for getting mis-colored things white again. I walked to the store and got a bottle of it. It took a few washings with the product to get the color out. The clothes never got sparkling white, but they were usable.

My son's orange soccer shirt got mold on it and I did a little research on the web. What I basically learned was that I needed to leave it out in the sun to kill the mold. I did this several times with repeated washings in the middle and it helped a lot. The key is to make sure you DON'T dry it in the dryer until you're completely done treating it, because that helps set in the mold or something (it's been awhile, but I think that was the rule)

Good Luck!

My son's brand new white football jersey had mildew spots all over it. I didn't realize it was left in a bag. I tried everything, and what finally worked was Scrubbing Bubble Foaming Bleach bathroom cleaner. I just sprayed and left on for a few minutes then rinsed with hot water and it came right out. I am so relieved!!!