Cheap Way To Lubricate Squeaky Hinges

What can I use to lubricate squeaky hinges with? Most things I have used cost quit a bit. I want something other than oil, thicker and longer lasting.

James Jackson

I have always heard Vaseline works well

I use a little squirt of cooking spray. Works great and is cheap.

Have you tried WD-40? I would think that would work.

Have you tried WD-40? I would think that should work.

WD-40 not only frees the hinge but repels/removes moisture, omitting further sticking problems as it dissappates the moisture that causes the problem to begin with.....other household lubricants and oils may work but also can cause problems when they break down

Try marine grease, which comes in a large (14 oz. or so) tube and looks like petroleum jelly but is a dark color. I found mine in the boating section at Wal-mart, but it can also be purchased at marinas and boating supply stores. It is designed to protect against the corrosion of saltwater, but I have used it for both indoor and outdoor applications that are nowhere near saltwater! It is long lasting after the initial application and inexpensive as well. I have had very good luck with it, from lubricating anything from my car door hinges to my kitchen cabinet hinges!

Tori

Try hair spray. It works on squeaky hinges, drawers and my office chair.

In the "old days" they would rub the hinges with a bar of soap. It works, and depending on your soap, it smells good.

the hair spray works very well but u might have to repeat in the future

In case you haven't figured it out in the 2 years since your question, WD-40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. You'll be applying WD-40 every few weeks if you only use it. The best thing I've found is take the hinge pins out (1 at a time), clean them with WD-40, scrub them with extra fine steel wool, and dip them in Motorcycle Chain Lubricant (1 bottle costs a few dollars, but will last a long time for hinges). The MCL is meant to stand up to road conditions, humidity, and temperature.

I've used Pam/other cooking spray - and it works well. Be careful when spraying though, as too much will drip out of the hinge for a while.

Home and Garden Home Improvement DoorsJanuary 8, 2005
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Fixing a Squeaky Shoe
Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Oak Stairs
Fixing Squeaky Stairs
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
🎄