Healthy Snacks for Fishing Trips

I have a friend looking for healthy snacks to take on fishing trips. They'll be camping so there will be a cooler and camp stove handy, but they are looking for snacks that won't keep them away from the water for very long. Since they go every week, sliced fruit and raw veggies are getting a little boring.

By Stephanie from Hillsboro

Best Answer

You can't go wrong with trail mix. If you add nuts, you get the high protein that satisfies. I like to snack on multigrain Cherios, either plain or mixed with any nuts you like or sunflower seeds, you can add dried cranberries & apples, also coconut as well. It's fun to make your own granola too! Look for items high in protein or fiber & low on fat & salt (stay away from potato chips). If you are going to eat chips, buy baked tortilla corn chips, not fried & eat them with bean dip. You can buy either canned bead dip (protein) or better yet, buy dried powdered beans at any health food store.

All you add is hot water from the thermos & a bit of salt & Tabasco & you have an instant (& healthy) bean dip! Eat some string cheese (mozzarella, cheddar or pepper-jack) to make sure your protein from the seeds, nuts & beans becomes a complete protein. Also, there's nothing like a fresh & crunchy apple just off the tree at this time of year!

Do yourself a favor & go to the "buy in bulk" part of the store, you'll find some tasty & nutritious snacks there. Also don't forget about beef jerkey or jerked salmon & tuna. "Fresh" tuna now comes in pouches & you can eat it on low-fat crackers on the go.

When the weather's cold, there's nothing like hot soup to warm you up! You can serve it the soup with crackers to make it a bit more filling. I make my own EASY instant soup-powder by taking beef, chicken or vegetable bullion & adding mixed dried veggies (carrots, celery, onions & parsley). The dried veggies come already mixed together. If you like, you can also add quick cooking noodles. Then simply add a teaspoon (more or less) of the soup powder to hot water from your thermos & you'll have a hot "warm-up" snack to dip some saltines in. Why buy the garbage instant soup packets when it's so easy to make your own healthy instant soup!? I buy all the ingredients in the "bulk" area of my local supermarket. Not all supermarkets have them, but many do. You can also find "buy-in-bulk" areas at large health food stores.

In the way of chips. I've recently discovered "Beats & Sweets". They are chips made from beats & sweet potatoes. The company also makes some chips made from carrots, yams & taro. They still have the same high calories of regular potato chips but better (cold-pressed) oil & way less guilt! They are found in healthy food stores. Be careful, some companies are selling vegetable "flavored" chips. You obviously want the real thing, the ones made from real cut-up then fried veggies.

Peanut butter sandwiches. When my DH has to travel due to his job I pack him things that don't need refrigeration. Peanut butter sandwiches fit the bill perfectly!

The dollar tree has canned tuna salad with crackers all in one package and only costs $1.00 There are other things as well, I just can't think of them right now. Mrs Jim

Food and Recipes Food Tips SnacksOctober 11, 2009
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
An apple, granola bar, nuts and dark chocolate squares.
Healthy Snacks
Glowing fish lantern centerpiece.
Making a Fishing Theme Centerpiece
A box of Goldfish pretzels snacks.
Saving Money on Diet Snacks
🎄