Spicy Vegan Bean Burgers

Economical, easy, tasty and vegan.

• 1 can black beans (or any of your choice) rinsed well and drained
  • 1 habanero, minced or jalapeno if you do not like too hot or omit altogether and just add a little cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup sauteed, steamed or raw mushrooms (I use both raw and cooked depending on my mood)
  • Bread crumbs - Sorry I never measure but add a half cup at first and add as you feel needed
  • Salt and pepper
  • Add whatever else you want to add in here. I have added greens, garlic and various veggies at different times.

Directions:

After draining beans, mash with a fork or potato masher. Don't worry about getting every single bean mashed just the majority of them.

With gloves ( I cannot stress this enough) wash and dry peppers) Chop them up removing core and stem. If you do not like too much heat do de-seed them but I never do as I like fire :) Add to the bean mixture.

After you saute your mushrooms or if using raw, chop them up as well. Add to the mixture above.

Season to your liking. I also put some cayenne in as well. Did I mention I like spicy? Start adding breadcrumbs and mix everything together.

This will not be a firm burger but it will hold itself together just fine.

Now you can add a little olive oil or spray and cook on the stove top in a pan for a few minutes each side or put in an 350 degree F oven and cook in there for about 15 minutes. I just do the stove top.

Put on bread of your choice and top as you would any other burger. I love to put tomato, greens, avocado, ketchup and whatever else I may have at the time.

Oh, and definitely don't forget the pickles.

Point of this "recipe" is that you can switch around the ingredients to your liking and for a cheap and vegan meal, you can get a bunch of yummy burgers :)

Servings: 4
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
6 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: my kitchen

By tone102 from Northern NJ