Growing FoodGrowing

Growing Madagascar Grapes

Question:

Does anyone have information about Madagascar Grapes? Information about the seeds, growing instructions, can it grow in Texas heat and black soil, etc.?

Lynda from TX

Answer:

Lynda,

I'm not at all familiar with Madagascar Grapes, and despite my research I was unable to find any information on a grape variety by that name. What I will say is that in most cases, Texas heat is better suited to growing "warm climate varieties" than "cool climate varieties." That's because the temperatures cause cooler grape varieties to ripen faster than usual, which will affect their acidity and ultimately their flavor. This probably wouldn't be as big a deal if you're growing grapes for use in jellies or juices, but it might be noticeable in grapes eaten raw or used in those used for producing wines. I'm assuming that a variety named for Madagascar would be more of a warm climate variety, seeing as Madagascar's climate is tropical. Here is a link to Texas A & M University that includes some great information on growing grapes in Texas. Hopefully they can give you some better answers on the variety you're interested in.

Good luck!
Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers

This is something I certainly know very little about but wish I could grow just one good grapevine. I'm mistaken about the name I heard briefly. It's not Madagascar, it's "Muscadine". Perhaps you have more information about this variety and it's success in Texas? My mother used to say that grapes were NOT worth trying to grow here because they attract so many wasps/bees, and become messy fast. What do you think? How large does one vine get typically? Must they have a wire/heavy support? Can they be grown on a fence? Sorry for any inconvenience. Thanks so much.