Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Is there an over the counter cure for persistent toe licking? It seems to be moisture driven, ie., lots hair on feet and lots of snow outside.

By Wayne from Buckhorn, Ontario

If you use salt or chemical to melt ice on your driveway or chemical in your lawn STOP! this might be the reason your doggy's paw gets irritated, dry and cracked. If you have no choice but to continue using the chemical then you probably have to wash his paws every time he get back in the house.

If this is purely cause by the cold weather try to goop up some Vaseline cream on the paws and between the toe nightly to keep the paw moist so it will not crack or dry up. Maybe get a doggy shoe for when he go outside.

My dog chew on their paws too when they went outside in the snow but it just because they were trying to get the snow off from their feet and to lick their feet dry.

If the licking or chewing is persistent try "Sour Apple Spray". You can get this spray from the pet store. It just taste sour to dog so if you spray it on their paws they wouldn't want to chew on them anymore. I'm sure there are other brand that will do the same with the different name. Just look around you'll find something there.

Trim the fur back on dog's bottom of feet. I have cocker spaniels and do this monthly. It will help to keep pads drier. Also, more difficult for burrs to get attached. Good luck.

January 12, 2009 Flag

I have a dog that constantly chews on her feet, causing a problem with discoloration and yeast. I was getting frustrated using the sprays on her paws from the doctor. I found a better solution by having her stand in a bathtub filled with Epsom salts and baking soda (roughly a 4:1 solution) while giving her a bath.

Make sure your pet does not try to drink the bath water, as the Epsom salts can cause stomach upset. I do this once every week or so, and the problem cleared up greatly. No more having to fight with her to use the sprays anymore. By Amy from Cincinnati, OH

My dog while growing up had food allergies, they are very common. Your business should do very well Jeannie, good luck on it!

Hello, your dog is bored, that is why she is chewing on her feet. Give her more things to do. Or maybe if you have space, let her run, or take her for walks to tire her out. You can also try Emu Oil, that stuff works great for skin and hair.

Thank you. I'm going to try this. My dog Nikki has been chewing her feet for months. I've tried all the sprays and ointments. Nothing works. She bites at them so hard at times that she starts crying.

The Vet said it was a yeast infection and when she scratches her ears she gets a yeast infection there too.

Thanks so much.

Unfortunately, you're only treating the symptom. Consider feeding your dog a raw diet with vitamins and supplements, to clear up the allergies and immune-deficiency problem she's exhibiting. Raw beef, raw vegetables (those that humans would eat raw), lightly cooked vegetables, vitamins/supplements & calcium (they need calcium). If there is a HOMEOPATHIC veterinarian in your area, pay them a visit. It's best to attack the problem from the inside-out, not the other way around. She'd probably would live happy and allergy-free and you'd have alot less work. Good luck and look into the vet (homeopathic).

July 20, 2011 Flag

Every summer my three year old dog has problems with itchy feet. His feet start to itch, and he lays and licks the hair off until they get red. The vet has no idea what's wrong? I got something online last year that helped and of course I can't find it. His blood brother has no problem. It has to be something that won't hurt him when he licks it. Please help us.

By Ivy

Diet? No corn wheat or soy. Some raw is best. Nzymes granules great for skin and all their health. NAthlete's foot spray will not hurt them for a temp fix. Can even be used on cats. Don't spray eyes. No grocery aisle pet foods. Go to specialty store. Purina, even science diet have fillers first ingredient, corn. Corn is an allergen as is wheat and soy. Need a little kibble? EVO is more expensive but pets eat less because they are satisfied. You can cook short grain brown rice, lentils, ground turkey, a little sea salt, a little coconut oil (fish oil, flax oil is good too). Boil a sweet potato every once in a while. They love them. Uncooked veggies over their cooked food is great. Fruits even, but no grapes or raisins (they can kill). Canned pumpkin is good for elimination. Google good diets. No vaccines. They wreck the immune system. Bring on allergies and all sorts of weaknesses. Google any anti vaccine site for ingredients in vaccines. Never again.

Our dog has the same problem and the vet told us to give him one Benadryl pill every day. Check with your vet as our pooch is 75 pounds. Generic Benadryl pills ok.

This is called "summer itch" when new grass starts to grow and if this was diet related the animal would have itchy feet year round. Change your Veterinarian. Good luck.

Muck itch also bothers horses in summer and the fix for dogs and horses is the original Lysol. l tablespoon to a gallon of water 2 times a week then one a week don't wash off. It happens with a lot of animals.

January 1, 2013 Flag

My Cocker Spaniel after going on a walk in the woods cannot stop chewing her feet. She keeps running in circles and kicking out. I have checked for thorns and whilst I found one and removed it, it does not explain this behaviour. She is of working breed and is in the hedgerows all the time. My other Cocker doesn't seem to have this problem. Please help?

By Liz from Colchester, Essex, UK

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Athlete's foot spray - any kind. Dogs get this same as humans. I haven't tried on feet yet but have advised amber colored listerine as it kills fungus.

My working cocker has just done exactly the same thing...and we were out in the woods. She is 8 months old and never done this before. I hope it stops soon, she is trying to sleep and keeps kicking out her feet. Poor little thing!

January 10, 2011 Flag

My dog has itchy feet only in the fall. What can I use to stop the chewing on the feet?

By Jean

Answers:

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

If it is a fungal problem use safe effective athlete's foot spray. Write if there are hot spots or loss of hair. Sometimes it is nerves or upset of some sort. Divert attention much as you can. (08/20/2010)

By muttmom

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

My dog has itchy feet also, but it is year round and caused by allergies and yeast. Wipe his/her feet with a warm rag with some apple cider vinegar on it. Wipe the feet several times a day with this and every time your dog comes in from outside. This should greatly reduce if not completely stop the itchy feet. Good luck! (08/20/2010)

By paulajeromeg

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

We, too, have this problem with our dog at this time of year. It is caused by the ''bents' bug'', the bents being the grassy dunes beside the beach. The bug appears just like small blacks dots between the toes. Bathing every night in water with a little flea shampoo fixes the problem. A soothing cream can be applied afterwards if necessary. It could be something similar that you are experiencing. (08/20/2010)

By skinnyjinny

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I had a friend that put a muzzle on his little dog because he chewed on his feet in the spring and fall. I asked him when he fertilized his lawn. It was in the spring and fall. He switched to organic fertilizer for his lawn and the dog never had itchy feet again. (08/23/2010)

By Lizzyanny

August 18, 2010 Flag

I have a three year old white Bichon/Poodle. For the past two or three weeks he has chewed on his feet until one of the pads is partially chewed off. I have taken him to the vet. He was given a shot of something, it didn't work. I have given him Benadryl and that hasn't worked. Any suggestions please?

By SeniorOkie from Del City, OK

Answers:

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Tea tree oil is the magic of all first aid treatments. Apply to any itch, bite, scratch, cut, or abrasion, on human or dog and it will work. It is the very best antiseptic available, has no side effects and is completely safe. Apply to the dogs feet to help the itch and also to help heal what ever is bothering the feet. Perhaps he's picked up some kind of fungus or other contact dermatitis.

Giving the poor doggy prednizone without even knowing what's wrong is just not right. Tea tree oil will clean any infection while healing. I've used it for flea bites, to get rid of fleas, and ring worm one of my dogs got one very hot and dry summer. Works like a charm. You've nothing to lose by trying it and your doggy will be very grateful. Not only will it heal the paws, he won't like the smell that well, so won't lick it off either. As for yourself, tea tree oil works like magic on those nasty kitchen burns we all give ourselves. I haven't been without this bottle of magic for years. (09/22/2009)

By Brooke

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Another besides tea tree oil for the feet is athlete's foot spray in a pinch since it may take a few days to purchase tea tree oil. Try Willard's water (best is WW xxx), by mouth and on irritations. It cures hot spots. To get rid of Dolly's fleas, dry borax the carpets. Use a homeo vet for nosodes, no pharma vaccines. (09/23/2009)

By muttmom

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Try to find out what is the cause of the itching and remove the cause. Is he walking on something that he is allergic to? Have you used chemicals on your lawn or used a different cleaning solution on the flooring in your home? Otherwise, I am thinking it might be a fungus on his feet, like humans get. Ask your vet. Good luck. (09/24/2009)

By Carol in PA

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Well, I definitely agree about the tea tree oil and also watching out for cleaners on the floor, etc. I have heard some pretty bad things about some of the Swiffer chemicals, etc. Also, when my Dobie has had hot spots that he chews on, it's because he's eating food with corn in it, or he needed to be wormed.

Another thing I just found was a natural herbal drop with yucca in it that's an anti-inflammatory for pets that lots of people said really helped, but I would try eliminating some of the possible causes first. Dandelion root capsules sprinkled in the food will help remove toxins from the system of most anything (human or animal) and is readily eaten. Good luck! (09/24/2009)

By Gina J.

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I've read that spraying diluted organic apple cider vinegar on animals' itchy/chewy "hot spots" will soothe.

Also, what others have said about changes in cleansers and chemicals is true. Allergies could be a cause, too, like grass for instance. Dogs can be allergic (or become allergic as they age) to grass.

My sister's dog Storm was miserable most of her life, until they moved into their 3rd home that in a deserty area with no grass in the yard. After spending thousands and thousands of dollars on vet bills and meds that didn't work, after they moved into their new home Storm's skin and itch cleared right up!

My teen daughter walks dogs for spending money, and there is one dog named Freak who has to have his paws spritzed with water and wiped off immediately after coming back from walks because otherwise he will chew his toes to shreds. Grass allergy. (09/24/2009)

By Beth

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Try to massage them with olive oil to relieve the itch. It will not harm the poor baby if he licks any off, but it will calm the itch. I agree it sounds like something he is walking across that is the root of his problem. When I mop I use hot water and a few drops of lavender oil. I run a small rescue that is funded only by my SSD, so I can't afford high priced stuff anyway. But this works and makes your home smell good as well.

Debbie (09/24/2009)

By dcsprsmm

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

We had a Bassett Hound that had a ragweed allergy. She got benedryl, prednisone (vet's prescription) and got a bath once a week with special shampoo. This helped her a lot, but her allergies kept getting worse and worse every year we had her. (09/24/2009)

By jahummell

Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I've read where dogs with food allergies chew on their feet. I spray a hypoallergenic conditioner on my Boxer's feet to stop him from chewing. (10/08/2009)

By BrutuScarlet13

September 22, 2009 Flag

I read somewhere on this site about Epsom salts or baking soda helping with dogs biting on their feet and having sores. You were suppose to soak their feet in this solution. I can't find where the directions for this are. Could someone please help me?

April 6, 2009 Flag

My dog, a Newfoundland and Border Collie mix, spends a lot of time biting his feet. The vet recommends Benadryl and Prednazone to stop it. I would like to find a natural and healthier solution to the problem. Can anyone help?

Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 10, 2011
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
Smelly Dog Paw
Remedy for Smelly Dog Feet
🎉
🎄