Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

By Wayne 2

Is there an over the counter cure for persistent toe licking? It seems to be moisture driven, ie., lots hair on feet and lots of snow outside.

By Wayne from Buckhorn, Ontario

Filter Sort

By Kitty 2 4 Flag

If you use salt or chemical to melt ice on your driveway or chemical in your lawn STOP! this might be the reason your doggy's paw gets irritated, dry and cracked. If you have no choice but to continue using the chemical then you probably have to wash his paws every time he get back in the house.

If this is purely cause by the cold weather try to goop up some Vaseline cream on the paws and between the toe nightly to keep the paw moist so it will not crack or dry up. Maybe get a doggy shoe for when he go outside.

My dog chew on their paws too when they went outside in the snow but it just because they were trying to get the snow off from their feet and to lick their feet dry.

If the licking or chewing is persistent try "Sour Apple Spray". You can get this spray from the pet store. It just taste sour to dog so if you spray it on their paws they wouldn't want to chew on them anymore. I'm sure there are other brand that will do the same with the different name. Just look around you'll find something there.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

Trim the fur back on dog's bottom of feet. I have cocker spaniels and do this monthly. It will help to keep pads drier. Also, more difficult for burrs to get attached. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Remedy for Dog's Itchy Feet

Every summer my three year old dog has problems with itchy feet. His feet start to itch, and he lays and licks the hair off until they get red. The vet has no idea what's wrong? I got something online last year that helped and of course I can't find it. His blood brother has no problem. It has to be something that won't hurt him when he licks it. Please help us.

By Ivy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By gbk 45 368 Flag

Muck itch also bothers horses in summer and the fix for dogs and horses is the original Lysol. l tablespoon to a gallon of water 2 times a week then one a week don't wash off. It happens with a lot of animals.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Soak Your Dog's Feet in the Bathtub

By Amy Birk 1

I have a dog that constantly chews on her feet, causing a problem with discoloration and yeast. I was getting frustrated using the sprays on her paws from the doctor. I found a better solution by having her stand in a bathtub filled with Epsom salts and baking soda (roughly a 4:1 solution) while giving her a bath.

Make sure your pet does not try to drink the bath water, as the Epsom salts can cause stomach upset. I do this once every week or so, and the problem cleared up greatly. No more having to fight with her to use the sprays anymore. By Amy from Cincinnati, OH

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Dog's Itchy feet

By Liz W. 1

My Cocker Spaniel after going on a walk in the woods cannot stop chewing her feet. She keeps running in circles and kicking out. I have checked for thorns and whilst I found one and removed it, it does not explain this behaviour. She is of working breed and is in the hedgerows all the time. My other Cocker doesn't seem to have this problem. Please help?

By Liz from Colchester, Essex, UK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By littlerosebush12 1 Flag

My working cocker has just done exactly the same thing...and we were out in the woods. She is 8 months old and never done this before. I hope it stops soon, she is trying to sleep and keeps kicking out her feet. Poor little thing!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

My dog, a Newfoundland and Border Collie mix, spends a lot of time biting his feet. The vet recommends Benadryl and Prednisone to stop it. I would like to find a natural and healthier solution to the problem. Can anyone help?

Marylee from PA

Answers:

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Try peppermint oil rubbed in good. I would think a natural lip balm would work too, because in reality they are "chapping" their paws. Might consider something they won't lick 'cause it tastes good. (02/11/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I heard that if a dog is doing that they have an allergy to their food. (02/11/2009)

By Amberina

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Seeing that you are in PA, its winter and there is a good chance that the dog is having problems with ice melt solutions ie: salt, calcium chloride and or other melting solutions that may cause irritation to the skin. I would wash the dogs paws off at the door, very gently, remember that the animals paws are sensitive and rubbing them may cause more irritation. Use a cooling cream like aloe or from the plant itself, or a ointment for burns. Have your carpets professionally steam cleaned and make everyone take the shoes off at the door so you don't track it on your clean carpets and vac once a day until winter is over with. We have a rabbit that starts to clean her paws from the salt tracked in our home. Good Luck!
Mark (02/12/2009)

By Supreme Care

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Salt and sometimes things outside are very alkaline. Try rinsing with a solution of vinegar and water. I would start off with maybe a 10 or 15% solution, because the skin can be chapped or sore (that's like 1-1/2 tsp white vinegar and 8-1/2tsp water, will give you a 15% solution). After the skin is well, then you can go to 50%-1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar and then straight vinegar, but I have used this stuff on myself. Sometimes when I go out and garden and sweat really badly, my arms start to itch really badly and I'm not ready to shower yet. Well keep a bottle of prepared mix and pour it on, rub a little to spread it and then dry it off and it is amazing. It even stops the itching from plant irritations. (02/12/2009)

By Chris t.

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Prednisone, no good. It's a great short term remedy. I had the same problem with my mini schnauzer and after Prednisone and a couple of cortisone shots I changed her food. After the food change, the itching of the feet stopped, the hair loss stopped. I switched her from Beneful (which she loved) to Natural Life Allergy and then to Hill's Science Diet. Both worked and she enjoyed both foods. I know some say dog food is dog food and they're not spending the money for more expensive. I'm here to say, dog food is not dog food, just like fast food is not a home cooked meal.

Also what Supreme Care said is true; it could just be irritation from the elements or chemicals or salt. Here in the south, I put paw wax, which I get at WalMart or Petsmart, on her paws to protect her feet from the very hot pavement. The container also says for cold weather. It's good stuff and seems to provide a barrier against hot or cold, just like lip balm. (02/12/2009)

Archive: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I read somewhere on this site about Epsom salts or baking soda helping with dogs biting on their feet and having sores. You were suppose to soak their feet in this solution. I can't find where the directions for this are. Could someone please help me? My dog has been on antibiotics for 3 weeks with no relief. Her feet are awful looking and bleed at times. Thank you.

By maggie3956 from Ipava, IL

Feedback:

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Here is some information from earthclinic.com:
http://earthclinic.com/Pets/allergies.html

Note that if the itching is from yeast, then the apple cider vinegar and water won't work. Also, fish oil and yogurt are great for different kinds of itching, and benadryl is good too. (04/06/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

The first idea coming to my mind is the floor cleaner, and it's one of the first explanations of several to read on this website. Hope you find relief for your pet. I'd go so far as to put children's socks on his paws while indoors and see if that helps. Benadryl ointment is quick relief for the itch, but doesn't cure it. (04/06/2009)

By Lorelei

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I read just today in a newsletter that I receive from a veterinarian, that baking soda and baking powder are dangerous for dogs and cats. Ingestion of large amounts of baking soda or baking powder can lead to electrolyte abnormalities (low potassium, low calcium and/or high sodium), congestive heart failure or muscle spasms. (04/07/2009)

By FarWestern

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Most dog allergies like you are describing are caused by an allergy to wheat. There is a dog food sold by EVO that is supposed to be very good for this type of allergy. Keep in mind you may have to feed it for upward of 3 months to see an improvement. You will have to check with a vet to see about buying it. (04/08/2009)

By DeniseMP

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I'm here to add, antibiotics aren't always the answer, either. Our 5-year-old English Mastiff has been on Keflex for several months, and still chews his one back foot raw. We have a vet appointment on 5/4 to see if anything else can be done. I hate the expense, but sometimes it's necessary. (04/08/2009)

By JustPlainJo

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Hi, my dog was licking her feet every day. After many trips to the vets and taking antibiotics and other allergy drugs, she did not get better. We switched her to a special dog food by Evo. After she finished that bag of dog food we switched her to lamb and rice dog food. Check the label, some of these have wheat in them. We also bought dog probiotics and vitamins to put in her food These are available at www.naturesfarmacywest.com. The vet also gave us a tube of lick guard, in case the licking had become a habit. It tastes bad, so the dog doesn't lick. (04/08/2009)

By lorettab

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Try soaking the dog's feet in 1 cup Epsom salts and three parts water. Also, after food give a tablespoon apple cider vinegar for every 50 lbs dog for one week, it really works. Visit some homemade remedy sites. (04/09/2009)

By mev

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

My dog has itchy feet due to seasonal allergies and I have found that straight vinegar rubbed into her paws works the best. (09/06/2009)

By eaduff

Archive: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I have a three year old white Bichon/Poodle. For the past two or three weeks he has chewed on his feet until one of the pads is partially chewed off. I have taken him to the vet. He was given a shot of something, it didn't work. I have given him Benadryl and that hasn't worked. Any suggestions please?

By SeniorOkie from Del City, OK

Feedback:

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Tea tree oil is the magic of all first aid treatments. Apply to any itch, bite, scratch, cut, or abrasion, on human or dog and it will work. It is the very best antiseptic available, has no side effects and is completely safe. Apply to the dogs feet to help the itch and also to help heal what ever is bothering the feet. Perhaps he's picked up some kind of fungus or other contact dermatitis.

Giving the poor doggy prednizone without even knowing what's wrong is just not right. Tea tree oil will clean any infection while healing. I've used it for flea bites, to get rid of fleas, and ring worm one of my dogs got one very hot and dry summer. Works like a charm. You've nothing to lose by trying it and your doggy will be very grateful. Not only will it heal the paws, he won't like the smell that well, so won't lick it off either. As for yourself, tea tree oil works like magic on those nasty kitchen burns we all give ourselves. I haven't been without this bottle of magic for years. (09/22/2009)

By Brooke

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Another besides tea tree oil for the feet is athlete's foot spray in a pinch since it may take a few days to purchase tea tree oil. Try Willard's water (best is WW xxx), by mouth and on irritations. It cures hot spots. To get rid of Dolly's fleas, dry borax the carpets. Use a homeo vet for nosodes, no pharma vaccines. (09/23/2009)

By muttmom

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Try to find out what is the cause of the itching and remove the cause. Is he walking on something that he is allergic to? Have you used chemicals on your lawn or used a different cleaning solution on the flooring in your home? Otherwise, I am thinking it might be a fungus on his feet, like humans get. Ask your vet. Good luck. (09/24/2009)

By Carol in PA

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Well, I definitely agree about the tea tree oil and also watching out for cleaners on the floor, etc. I have heard some pretty bad things about some of the Swiffer chemicals, etc. Also, when my Dobie has had hot spots that he chews on, it's because he's eating food with corn in it, or he needed to be wormed.

Another thing I just found was a natural herbal drop with yucca in it that's an anti-inflammatory for pets that lots of people said really helped, but I would try eliminating some of the possible causes first. Dandelion root capsules sprinkled in the food will help remove toxins from the system of most anything (human or animal) and is readily eaten. Good luck! (09/24/2009)

By Gina J.

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I've read that spraying diluted organic apple cider vinegar on animals' itchy/chewy "hot spots" will soothe.

Also, what others have said about changes in cleansers and chemicals is true. Allergies could be a cause, too, like grass for instance. Dogs can be allergic (or become allergic as they age) to grass.

My sister's dog Storm was miserable most of her life, until they moved into their 3rd home that in a deserty area with no grass in the yard. After spending thousands and thousands of dollars on vet bills and meds that didn't work, after they moved into their new home Storm's skin and itch cleared right up!

My teen daughter walks dogs for spending money, and there is one dog named Freak who has to have his paws spritzed with water and wiped off immediately after coming back from walks because otherwise he will chew his toes to shreds. Grass allergy. (09/24/2009)

By Beth

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

Try to massage them with olive oil to relieve the itch. It will not harm the poor baby if he licks any off, but it will calm the itch. I agree it sounds like something he is walking across that is the root of his problem. When I mop I use hot water and a few drops of lavender oil. I run a small rescue that is funded only by my SSD, so I can't afford high priced stuff anyway. But this works and makes your home smell good as well.

Debbie (09/24/2009)

By dcsprsmm

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

We had a Bassett Hound that had a ragweed allergy. She got benedryl, prednisone (vet's prescription) and got a bath once a week with special shampoo. This helped her a lot, but her allergies kept getting worse and worse every year we had her. (09/24/2009)

By jahummell

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I've read where dogs with food allergies chew on their feet. I spray a hypoallergenic conditioner on my Boxer's feet to stop him from chewing. (10/08/2009)

By BrutuScarlet13

Archive: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

My dog has itchy feet only in the fall. What can I use to stop the chewing on the feet?

By Jean

Feedback:

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

If it is a fungal problem use safe effective athlete's foot spray. Write if there are hot spots or loss of hair. Sometimes it is nerves or upset of some sort. Divert attention much as you can. (08/20/2010)

By muttmom

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

My dog has itchy feet also, but it is year round and caused by allergies and yeast. Wipe his/her feet with a warm rag with some apple cider vinegar on it. Wipe the feet several times a day with this and every time your dog comes in from outside. This should greatly reduce if not completely stop the itchy feet. Good luck! (08/20/2010)

By paulajeromeg

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

We, too, have this problem with our dog at this time of year. It is caused by the ''bents' bug'', the bents being the grassy dunes beside the beach. The bug appears just like small blacks dots between the toes. Bathing every night in water with a little flea shampoo fixes the problem. A soothing cream can be applied afterwards if necessary. It could be something similar that you are experiencing. (08/20/2010)

By skinnyjinny

RE: Relieving a Dog's Itchy Feet

I had a friend that put a muzzle on his little dog because he chewed on his feet in the spring and fall. I asked him when he fertilized his lawn. It was in the spring and fall. He switched to organic fertilizer for his lawn and the dog never had itchy feet again. (08/23/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 10, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Woman with Itchy Scalp
Remedies for Itchy Scalp
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:55:52 PM on 10.0.0.127 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsAnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings