Halloween: Hermit Crab Costume
- red sweatshirt
- 1/2 yard red felt
- small bag polyfill
- red hat
- 2 white pom poms
- small piece black felt
- paper bag
- Cut 8 - 3 1/4 inch strips of red felt, the length of the child's arms. Taper at ends.
- Sew two pieces together to make tubes and stuff. There should be 4 arms total, two for each side. Stitch in 3 joints in each arm.
- Sew the arms onto the sweatshirt under and behind the sleeves. Use thread to attach arms to sleeves, the arms should all move together.
- Cut mittens in the shape of large claws, sew, and stuff just as arms, leaving room for hands to fit in.
- Antennas/Eye Stalks: Make small tubes from felt, stuff, hot glue a pom at end and pupil onto pom. Stitch onto hat.
- Shell: Have child decorate an inside out paper bag like a shell, fold creases into it to look like a shell spiral.
By Debi from Beaufort, SC
Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.
Love this costume! I am almost finished making it and was wondering how you attach the paper bag to the sweatshirt? Thanks!
By Jess 10/30/2009
Oh my goodness, this is adorable! You made it sound so easy too. Maybe I can talk one of my boys into something like this for next year. Happy Halloween!
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.