AdviceFood Tips

Using The Whole Chicken

At least once per month, I boil a whole chicken. Then I pull all that wonderful meat off the bones.

I use some of it right away, and combine it with the broth from boiling the chicken, and frozen mixed vegetables and rice or soup pasta, for soup. Just be sure to chill the broth if you want to eliminate fat from the broth. Also, add a couple chicken bouillon cubes to kick up the chicken flavor.

And, as we all know, soup is very good for a cold!

Then, depending on what I am in the mood for, I use more of the cooked chicken to make a favorite meal.

I usually find that I have much more fun making those wonderful Mexican dishes, if the meat is already taken care of. Campbell's has great chicken enchilada recipes, and since I already have the chicken off the whole bird, I just mix it up and pop it into the oven. So good.

Your hungry guys will love the enchiladas, and to make it more like going out, serve a couple packages of Spanish or Mexican rice side dishes. Or add some refried beans and chips.

Enjoy! And take care of that cold!

Source: I have made Campbell's Chicken enchiladas many times and we love them! Check out their website for many good recipes.

By suengenenc from Clyde, NC

Sounds good. I usually overcook chicken. How long would you boil it for?

Please beware that bouillon cubes contain MSG which is a neurotoxin and harmful for your health. This recipe sounds really good other than that!

Good idea. I like to crock pot mine and I can usually get 3-4 dinners out of a whole chicken. 1st night is chicken w/ sides, then I divide the meat left over into 2 containers. 2nd night is Chicken & noodles (or dumplings) using the left over drippings & 1 conatiner of meat and 3rd night is a chicken casserole like wild rice mushroom. I did this for years when my kids were young & money was tight.

Sorry, I forgot to state a time on boiling the chicken. I usually boil the chicken for at least an hour. I like to boil it until it starts to fall off the bone when you try to lift it out of the water. That way you get a good infusion of chicken into the water, and can use it for soup. Also, the meat is so tender, it's no trouble to just ease the meat off the bones. Be careful of those pesky rib and neck bones that like to sneak into your pulled meat. I have to wear my reading glasses to be sure I don't miss any!