Duros Recipe

I have been looking for a recipe for making duros (duritos, durros, pasta para durito) from scratch with both the proportions of the ingredients and the process. I have not been able to find anything on the internet resembling a recipe.

Duros are a Latino snack made of wheat flour and look a bit like a very hard pasta. The traditional shape is a rectangle with grooves but wagon wheel shapes are common too. Typically the duros are deep fried but they can also be microwaved. The prepared duros puff up then can be dipped in salsa or sprinkled with chile lime salt (see Tajin). Basic Ingredients are Flour, Iodized Salt, Corn Starch, Bicarbonate of Soda, Vegetable Oil and food coloring. (From gourmetsleuth.com).

Ken from Houston, Tx

I don't have an answer to your question, but I would be interested in how to microwave them as I am very fond of them but do try to stay away from anything fried.

Thanks for any help you can give me. jsham

Stick a few duros in the microwave for a few seconds and watch what happens. Since I do not know what power level your machine is I can not give a recipe. Best you try a few at a time at various power/time levels and watch the duros as you go. Shut the microwave off if any charred stuff appears.

One thing I have noticed is when frying, the duros are uniformly expanded throughout their entire dimensions. When doing it in the microwave oven, the edges and ends seem to be a little shriveled.

Good luck and keep a keen eye on what you see as you cook and take good notes.

Food and Recipes Recipes International MexicanJuly 30, 2008
Ingredient Substitutions
Common Ingredient Substitutions
Recipe Cards
Using Recipe Cards
preparing a recipe
Converting the Size of a Recipe
Welbilt Bread Maker
Finding Welbilt Bread Maker Recipe Books