Cat Won't Use Catit Drinking Fountain

My 6 year old cat drinks from the bathtub tap, but we will be moving soon so I invested in a Catit Drinking fountain (quite costly I might add). He loved it for about two days and now won't go near it. I have tried depriving him of his usual water source to no avail, I have also tried just turning off the fountain and leaving the water still, but he won't touch that either. Anyone got any ideas?

Sharyl from Adelaide, Australia

Removing his water is VERY dangerous. Just be patient ....

Alexandria, VA

I also bought a cat drinking fountain for my cat. Because he had a bad habit and a quite costly one I might add, of drinking fresh running water from the bathroom sink, I assumed he would love a cat fountain. For days and days he only wanted to play in the fountain and used his paws to splash water all over the place.

Most cats prefer drinking running water because its fresh and the water movement amazes them. Give it some time so he may warm up to this new foreign object you have placed before him. My cat finally drank from it after he realized it wasnt a toy and was his daily source for water. Place his regular water bowl next the fountain so he can better relate to it and also change the fountain water often so it doesnt go stagnit even if it has a filter. Cats are very smart and can tell the difference between fresh water and two day old water. Give it some time but dont take his water away, not even for a moment. Dehydration can cause kidney failure and many other health isues. Good Luck:)

Just wondering if you could sprinkle a little catnip in the water dispenser - just enough to get the cat interested in it again.

Or maybe float a little cat toy in it.

Maybe another cat marked its territory nearby and that's why your cat doesn't like it any more.

Having read some other reviews of the Catit, the trouble may be that the fountain is a little dirty. If its at all googy, the cats wont touch it I hear.

A cat licking its lips.
Getting a Cat to Use a Pet Drinking Fountain
Pets CatsDecember 9, 2005
An insulated cup with a reusable plastic drinking straw.
Cleaning Plastic Drinking Straws
Inexpensive Water Fountain
Building an Inexpensive Water Fountain
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Colorful Drinking Straws
Uses for Drinking Straws