Pickle Juice for Dogs?

Is the pickle juice from pickles good for a puppy? Also, what can a dog eat and not eat? I am taking care of my sisters dog and I need to know this stuff!

rhindy from Hartford, NY

I dont know about the pickle juice, but my first thought was.. why would I feed pickle juice to my dog? :)

check out DogAge.com, you learn alot of cool stuff (especially health/nutrition) and get an assessment free of the dog. Definitely no chocolate, onions, tomatoes and potatoes (at least peels): chocolate is BAD for kidneys (some more than others) and the latter have too much acid and can lead to anemia if given too much. Dog food is best, and a little tuna juice from can is good to give extra fish oil for skin. Be safe and no bones, esp. poultry and pork: they can splinter and choke. As a special treat (much to the dismay of DH) I give Charlie popcorn (he has to lay down and "catch") but he won't eat microwave with fake butter, only stove top popped or organic/plain microwave! Scraps should be only treats, and given in the bowl to avoid begging (unlike my spoiled one!)

pickle juice is vinegar with spices. no i would not give that to a dog especially a puppy. no choclate, no milk, no onions.

Didn't your sister give you the food for the puppy or at least tell you what she is feeding it. If you keep changeing the food for the pup you will give it a stomach ache. Give it only commercial puppy food that has all that a growing dog needs.

Why are you asking this question about pickle juice for a dog? Are you giving it to him or did he get into it somehow? How can you be taking care of your sister's dog and not know how or what to feed him? Surely she gave you some instructions???

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control.aspx

Why on would you give the puppy pickle juice?

If you are cooking for him, check out the link above from the ASPCA, it is a list of foods which should never be given to a dog.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Pickle juice is good for puppies that have a sickness resulting in lethargy and dehydration. pickle juice is full of electrolites, which are lost during dehydration and are essential to nerve communication. The pickle juice is also full of sodium which allows the body to retain water rather than pass it. You should only give the dog small amounts as to much sodium will farther dehydrate it. Pickle juice is comparable to concentrated gatorade; and people drink gatorade, propell, poweraid ect. when they get any dehydrating desease such as a stomach bug. When my puppy was recovering from Parvo (an extremely deadly desease common in puppies) my vet instructed me to give the dog pickle juice and plenty of water.

yes, i wanna give pickles to my dog, but is it allowed? i guess not ... i dunno, it's vegetables anyway =P

But what about pickles are they ok?

I'm not sure, but I love pickles, and my girlfriend's dog thinks `Everything is good for DOGGIES!" I think it'd be okay to give pickles to dogs, unless the vinegar is bad for them. Vinegar is usually made from grapes, which are poisonous to dogs. I heard that grape extract might be okay, but I'm still looking. As for why I'd give him pickles, well, he wants to eat everything, and I don't mind sharing, unless it's dangerous.

Editor's Note: Distilled white vinegar, which is usually the type of vinegar used in mass produced pickles, is made like grain alcohol. Apple cider vinegar is also sometimes uses, and is usually made from apples (but sometimes is distilled white vinegar with apple flavoring). The only vinegar made from grapes would be red or white "wine" vinegar.

Uses for Pickle Juice
Uses for Pickle Juice
Pets AdviceMay 27, 2006
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
🎉
🎄