Reuse Election Signs

contest winner icon

The election is almost over (thank heavens!) and I am thinking about all those campaign yard signs all over the place! After the election is over, you can pick some up and set them aside to use for your garage sales next summer. Just paint over them, using permanent paint that doesn't run in the rain. You can use them year after year. It's nice to re-use something and nice to help un-clutter our neighborhoods now that the election is over!

I have used the signs that are plastic, like corrugated cardboard. One just has to use wd40 spray it on and the paint will just rub off, and you have a blank slate. Works well for any kind of signage and they are lightweight.

You read my mind. We have a couple signs in our yard too. And, that's what I was going to do! The poster board garage sale signs are so flimsy - these will work great!

Turn the plastic signs, that slide over the frame, inside out, and you have a blank canvas.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that taking the signs is illegal. They are the property of the candidates, although I believe that they have to be taken down within a few days of the election or the candidates can be fined heavily. I would check with the campaign headquarters before you take any.

if the sign will be on a corner they could be stapled together face to face so the backs are still usable to print your sign on both sides

I was wondering if you could use the signs as insulation for outdoor dog/cat shelters??? This way your pet could be well protected from the heat in the summr and coldness in the wintertime.

I need to agree with the ownership of the signs. They are bought and paid for by the political person/party and to deface them can bring charges.

By the next day following an election, all the signs in our area have been picked up by their party reps. By law they must be removed 10 days post the election date of said person running.

I know I was asked for the signs on my yard for people wanting to use them for garage sales.

I also host the American Cancer Society Relay For Life yard banners, which we leave the areas for the dates blank, I make a new date, slip it into a page protector (one for each side) and clear tape them on each year.

The signage is expensive. If you want for your own purpose, or even skrewed up signs, check with the companies who do these. I am sure they would be willing to 'dump' them for a small token.

In Missouri you can not legally take the signs. They were paid for by the candidate and only the candidate or his representatives may remove them. Often, if they are reused if the candidate runs again. My cousin used his same signs over and over while he was sheriff for several terms. To take them you would face criminal charges of trespassing and theft.

I have a large supply of old election signs from a friend that reached the term limit for his current office. No stealing involved! Before getting this supply, I had sometimes bought the flimsy plastic "For Sale," or "For Rent" signs and used the backs for other info.

I discovered that if put my lettering on with plastic electrical tape, I could easily peel it off and create yet another new sign, unlike when using an indelible marker.

The tape also encourages making nice big letters, and using few words, which improves most homemade signs immensely. Tape comes in assorted colors, not just black.

Searched [crafts election signs images] and found some of a sharp knife (X-acto) being used to cut grooves in the more rigid election signs. Grooves cut to take advantage of the cells in the signs are easier to cut, and just the right size for inserting the thickness of another piece of sign. Hot melt glue, or other glue compatible with the plastic, can help hold it together.

So far, I've found a doll house, a bird house, some bicycle accessories and various bins made from the signs. Some of the bins were covered with fabric, or at least lined with fabric, either to make them more useful, and/or better looking. Maybe vinyl wall covering would work, too?

Paint? I'd test the paint to make sure it does not melt the plastic before using much of it. I expect Krylon Fusion Paint for Plastic would be best for nicer projects, but I haven't tried it.

When an election is over and there are signs left, I gather several and paint them a solid color, then can use in the garden to mark the rows. Also when eggs and produce are ready then a sign goes in my yard advertising the sale. When season is over I gather my signs, clean them up, repaint if necessary, and store out of the way. They can also be cut into smaller sizes. What a great way to recycle and keep the town clean and neat.

Yard Sale Sign
Making Garage Sale Signs
Garage Sales SignsNovember 4, 2008
Vinyl Name Tag Holder
Reuse Vinyl Name Tag Holders
Reuse Slinky As Note Holder on your desk.
How to Reuse a Slinky
Hacker sitting streaming data
Warning Signs for Internet Scams
Generic Election signs
Recycling Political Campaign Signs