Using a Wok When Camping

For camping, my husband (who is Chinese) and I only took a small wok, camping stove and one pot for cooking equipment. We found that the wok worked well on both the camping stove and the small backpack stove. We found we could do most everything in the wok, though chose to do the boil the water thing in the small pot. Picture us backpacking with a wok flapping outside the pack, well it worked!

By CK from Portland, OR

I would be really interested to learn what you cook in your wok. I typically have a one pot meal when we camp too. I begin with a can of anchovies, for their oil to keep veggies from sticking to pot and a little protein and some flavor. Then I add chopped onions and eggplant when that cooks down I added zucchinis, and 2 tomatoes at the end I toss in two more tomatoes, a can of fancy mushrooms or if I am using dried mushrooms I have been soaking them since the beginning and toss in with zucchinis, I typically buy some sauce or dried soup mix and throw that in at the end to add variety to the same meal night after night and sometimes we put in canned corn. I am always looking for a completey different meal to put together but I always end up with this a my regular standby. Everyone gets pretty bored with it after two weeks.

That's great!!! I love ethnic food when I camp...if it wouldn't eat it at home, why would I eat it outdoors, I say! Leave hot dogs for the birds and go ethnic!

A Wok is not just for "ethnic" cooking. It's for healthy cooking and sounds PERFECT for the unpredictable flaming of a campfire, outdoor grill, or other sources outdoors. It can even be placed when hot into a bowl-shaped sand or dirt pit, on or off the table. I LOVE the idea of using it but must admit it is a bit odd-shaped for backpacking. lol Now I am

behind in my electricity bill payments so may have to camp out in my back yard for a couple of months, until I get the increased rate/bill saved. We will eat fresh veggies from our garden and supplement with canned goods, on the barbeque grill or open firepit , and a Wok will be fun to try in advance. Thanks for the idea.

Cooking Over Camp Fire
Camping Cooking Tips
Travel and Recreation Recreation Camping CookingJuly 12, 2006
Children Laughing in Campground
Camping with Children
Tealight candle burning in the dark
Camp Cooking With Tealights
Camping Food Ideas
Camping Food Ideas
Mom and 3 girls Camping in the Rain
Camping in the Rain