Using Zipper Bags for Food Preparation

Zipper type bags are great for food preparation. I use them to mix up all sorts of things. My latest was cupcake batter, straight from the bag to the pans, with virtually no clean up. Here's an article I wrote that has more tips and ideas for how to use zipper bags instead of a mixing bowl:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/153146/zipper_bag_food_preparation.html

A good idea if you are time-poor rather than money-poor. You can clean a bowl and re-use it over and over, but you have to outlay money for the bags.

Great idea, Pam!!! Thanx!!!

I cant imagine that this would save time mixing up a cakemix.

It just seems like it would take longer. And knowing me the

bag would pop and make a big mess, even squeezing the air out.

I hope someone tries this a posts the results so I dont make a mess lol Thanks. :)

I have had kids make bread in a bag and it works great. But as far as saving work I don't see it. You still have to use measuring spoons and measuring cups.

I apologize now if I offend anyone.....

My mom was telling me about a show she watched and they made omlets in a bag. This could be fun for kids, but bags are about .05 each or more(?). And me, being environMENTAL, I believe this is wasteful: since water(to clean dishes) is a renewable resource and plastic baggies do not biodegrate in the garbage. It would be fun for a sleepover party? with omlets I mean....

The original poster meant after she mixes the cake mixes in a bowl, then pours the batter in the Ziploc or zipper bags, for an easy way of filling cupcake tins, rather than trying to fill them up with a ladel to and from the bowl to the muffin tin & making a mess. The same goes for frosting or whipped cream for cakes & other dessert toppings. Also, for spreads like ham salad, egg salad, pimento cheese spread, chicken salad, tuna salad to be piped into pieces of celery, pastry shells, hollowed out tomatoes, mushroom caps, etc.

And chopping off the corner of the bag and using it the same as you would as a store bought pastry bag. Forgot to put this on my previous post.

If you do want to use the zip lock bags for a pastry bag, be sure to get the thicker, freezer type bag. I tried this tip for making deviled eggs at Easter and the egg mixture started squeezing out other holes in the sandwich bag! Trust me, get the thicker ones!

Jess

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsMarch 23, 2007
zipper flower
Making a Zipper Flower Pin
zipper
Repairing a Zipper That Separates
Blue Zipper
Adding a Zipper to a Juice Pouch Purse
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
🎄