AdviceGardening

What Is This Plant? (Velvet Leaf)

What is this plant? It suddenly sprouted up in our backyard by the pool. My kids were eating sunflower seeds out by the pool a while ago, could it be a sunflower seed plant? Thanks!

Hardiness Zone: 11

Debbie from Phoenix, AZ

Its got to be a cucumber vine. Only the flowers with cucumbers behind them will bear cucumbers.

If you look at the picture closely (sorry, should have posted a close up), there are star shaped things growing off of some stems. Some of them have turned black. These look totally different than the flower buds, and they will not flower like the other flowers.

Looks like pumpkin vines to me but could be wrong.

Cucumber

cucumber

This is a plant of Hibiscus family (Malvaceae). I think it is Sida or Malva. A weed plant but used as a medicinal herb in Indian system of medicine (Ayurveda)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I agree on the one post that this isn't a cucumber plant. Although the leaves and flowers look just like a cucumber plant, this plant has star shaped spikey "buds" to it that I've never seen. Some of them have turned from green to black. I think I'll let it continue to grow to see what changes happen to it.

Thanks again!

The weed here in MO is known as "wild cotton". That is, providing it is an upright plant, velvety and not a vine!

I hope I never eat any cucumbers from the people who answered that this was a cucumber plant. Did you not notice the "spikey' seed pods?

http://www.kswi  .php?flowerID=26

Click on the above link in your browser to see photos and info about this weed.

Don't let it go to seed! The common name among farmers is velvetleaf, and it is a WEED. You don't want it spreading itself around your yard.

ShiShi has it right. Based on the pictures I saw on the link she posted, this is definitely a Velvet Leaf. So glad I asked because I wouldn't want it propagating all over my backyard even though it's kind of a pretty weed.

Thanks again to all for your feedback. Much appreciated!

This is velvet leaf & considered a noxious weed here in WI. Whatever you do, do NOT let it go to seed! Yank that bad boy ASAP!

Sunflower seeds come from sunflowers. The seeds your children are eating are a somewhat processed version. They might be de-hulled, roasted & salted or any combo of the above. You can grow, salt & roast these seeds yourself.

It might be a fun family project. Here's a site to get you started: http://www.gard  ble/sunflowr.htm

Good luck!

it is a Wild Abutilon do not get rid of it even though they can be annoying they are beautiful. I have many in a section in my garden. The black star shaped things are the seed pods brak them open when they are black and there should be round or circular seeds in them. you can easily plant them wherever you wish. These plants are related to hibiscus too, they may grow to be many feet high. Hope I helped!