TipsCamping

Check Unused Campsites for Fire Wood

After many, many family camping trips I have learned a few things. Here's my favorite - once we arrive and get our assigned campsite (state parks), my husband begins to unload and the kids and I go to nearby deserted (checked out) campsites and look for leftover firewood. Sometimes only some of the wood has burned, so always make sure the wood is cool enough to handle.

We have never had a problem with "hot' wood because most campers know they should never leave a site with a burning fire. We bring the extra wood back to our site. This is possible in state parks where the reserved dates are clearly posted at each site. This saves us on firewood purchases.

The photo is of our favorite state parks and was taken from a bridge railing, I framed the scene with the railing.

By norulesart from Sunny FL

When I was a kid we usually brought wood from home for camping. Especially in state parks because we heat part of our house with a wood stove my dad and brothers would get wood cutting permits. We would leave the extra wood because we really didn't need it at home hoping other campers would use it.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Beautiful falls. Where is this state park?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Love the picture!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

When we leave our campsite, we give the wood to fellow campers or leave it as a nice surprise for the next camper. :)

Regarding bringing your own wood. National & state parks today don't want you to do that because you are possibly bringing bugs to the park that are foreign to that area, check with your park before bringing wood from home.

Reply Like this photo? Yes