Eclectus Parrot Pulling Its Feathers Out

I too have a female Elecutus parrot which has pulled her feathers out, twice this year. Her diet is good, I moved their cage from inside to outside. Could it be stress from the change?

By Brett1964 from Melbourne, Australia

I saw a show on animal planet that said birds will preen other birds so if a bird is alone it might over preen itself. Their suggestion was to put a feather duster in the cage with the bird. The bird will fulfill its need to pull feathers by pulling feathers from the duster. You can get feather dusters at dollar stores so it is something cheap you can try before you try getting it a companion.

Go to google.com and type in "Why do parrots pluck their feathers."

There are many help sites that can help you find the answer.

We went through a horrible time trying to figure why our eclectus was pulling his feathers. He looked terrible. We tried everything until we read about how likely they are to be allergic to wheat and corn. Strore bought food's number one ingredient is corn. Now I make a flax seed food that he loves and all his feathers have grown in and the bald spot on his head is also gone. Here's the recipe: 2 cups flax seed, 2 cups water. Add the water to the flax seed and let sit for several minutes. The flax becomes sticky and will absorb all the water. Now I add any nuts my bird likes, a little cinnamon and some chia seed...up to 1 cup. Dried fruits can also be added. Next, pour the mixture onto a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake on a low temp (285-300) until the mixture is crunchy. I stir and flip it every once in a while. It takes about an hour. If you don't get all the moisture out it will become moldy in a plastic bag so I actually leave it on the baking sheet and in the oven and take out what I need from there. This amount will feed him for several weeks and is well worth having a pretty bird again. Plus, he loves the stuff!

Pets BirdsJuly 26, 2010
Homemade Parrot Food Recipes
Homemade Parrot Food Recipes
A parrot perched on a wooden dowel
Parrot Perch Ideas
Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Chicken
Chicken Pulling Out Its Feathers
🎄