I don't always get these thrifty tips and don't know if this has been addressed.
I went to a fire demo where flour was thrown on a fire. It burst into flame before ever contacting the fire. He said all powders do this except baking soda. So be careful when putting out a fire.
Was this man trying to sell you something? My Kidde smoke detector goes off every time my dinner is done LOLOL.
Sandy from Pittsburgh
Coffee creamer is especially flammable. A coffee creamer factory around here blew up a few years ago because there was a lot of creamer dust in the air. I think one person was killed.
Sandy, the smoke detector isn't suppose to be used as a timer!!! lol.
That's a Ron White joke from Blue Collar tv. He said his wife was a really bad cook, she kept burning the food!!
i want to share a personal experience....my husband would always get mad at the fire alarm, then one day at 3 am the alarm went on, he said that alarm goes off making toast...ect...and then he yelled at me to get up....there was a fire...we try to put the small flames on the couch out...then he told me to get out...i did thinking he was following...fire dept was call they took 4 minutes to get there it was already too late...
if we would have had a carbon monoxide alarm it might of saved us faster....he perish in fire and my neighbour and her dog and 2 cats and my 4 cats...
my advise to all is not to rely only on fire alarm...get a carbon monoxide alarm also....4 minutes...and it was already to late
Does anyone remember the time before smoke detectors? I Do. There were many reports of dogs and cats saving the people .Especially Dogs! Even today once in awhile you hear stories of people being awaken by their pet and saved.
Today thanks to man and his very toxic and flammable materials that make up our homes we only have seconds to react and get out. This Carbon Monoxide detector sure it is great, but so is keeping your furnaces in tip top shape and not running kerosene heaters in poorly venilated homes.
Now throw in todays homes are actually too insulated we got the problem of keeping so many chemicals right with us all winter long.
I don't know what the answers are. If I did I would be rich and probably in one of those overinsulated chemical filled homes with all kind of gadgets to warn me. Too late for me Never happen folks.
Oh by the way how many of you know alternatives ways to get out of your homes in case of fire?
Have you discussed and practice these ways with your family? They all know the meeting place outside? I hope so
It sounds like the man is what was once called a snake oil salesman. If I were you, I would go to your nearest fire department and get the info from the firemen/women who deal with this thing every day.
Fire Refresher course!
*The Key here is to use a towel that is not dripping wet. Wring it out first! Let your kids know too! Friends and loved ones.
This is the first time I heard of this simple fire prevention idea. It's so simple and effective, that I'm forwarding it to all my family and friends.
Kitchen Fire - *Read this before you watch the video!*
I was Executive Director of the Institute for Burn Medicine for San Diego and Imperial Counties when we lived in California. Besides raising the money to establish a Burn Treatment Center at the University Hospital there, I conducted extensive public education campaigns in Burn Prevention.
A friend recently sent me the attached short video - and like an old fire-horse, I heard the bell ring and am rushing to send this excellent prevention piece to each of you. It is well worth watching! And it could save your life.
This is very stunning - please read first and then watch the very short clip.
I never realized that a wet dishcloth can be a one size fits all lid to cover a fire in a pan!
This is a dramatic video (30-second, very short) about how to deal with a common kitchen fire...oil in a frying pan.
Read the following Introduction, then watch the show.
It's a real eye-opener!
At the Fire Fighting Training school they would demonstrate this with a deep fat fryer set on the fire field. An instructor would don a fire suit and using an 8-oz. cup at the end of a 10-foot pole to toss water onto the grease fire.
The results got the attention of the students. The water, being heavier than
oil, sinks to the bottom where it instantly becomes superheated.
The explosive force of the steam blows the burning oil up and out. On the open field, it became a thirty-foot high fireball that resembled a nuclear blast.
Inside the confines of a kitchen, the fire ball hits the ceiling and fills the entire room. Also, do not throw sugar or flour on a grease fire. One-cup of either creates the explosive force of two sticks of dynamite.
This is a powerful message...watch the video and don't forget what you see.
Tell your whole family about this video. Or better yet, send this to them.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!