Getting Rid of Squirrels

How do I get rid of squirrels?

By chicken42 from Philadelphia, PA

Well, you don't say where they are a problem. In the house or in the yard or some other place. If you can't hire an exterminator then buy a havahart trap. Set it with nuts or some other item squirrels like. When they get caught in the trap take them about 10 miles away and release them. If they are getting into the house then find out where they are entering and close up the opening. Forget the mothballs.

Hot pepper helps with squirrel problems, put it where you think they travel. If you have any wires going into the house they will climb the wires. Put hot pepper sauce on the wires, good luck.

We have had a crazy/insane issue with a squirrel in our garage. (the people who used to live here canned food so they built a closet in the garage insulated it and put in shelves) We used it to hold photos Christmas stuff out of season clothes and the like - in rubbermade tubs) Well last summer while having a garage sale some wood chips were falling from the roof where there were boards laying in the rafters we we noticed a squirrel was up there chewing one of the boards. A few days later we noticed the insulation tore up in the closet well. We have tried the nice sweet kind ways to catch it and take it for a ride. Like live trapping well it somehow gets the treat out of the live trap but doesn't set it off.

I thought maybe I set it wrong - Or it was broken nope not the case, we caught a coon in it. So after I found out the brat got into the rubbermaid tubs and ate baby books photos my dads coat etc. I was ticked off set mouse traps and a rat trap oh well we caught a few mice. But no squirrel it got the peanut butter off the rat trap more then once without setting the trap off. Grrr I tried the bucket trick with seed in the water, moth balls, squirrel away, could go on and on etc. I GIVE UP ! It now has totally tore the closet it heck and no matter what i do it gets away licking its lips. My son and his friends claim. Its a ninja warrior squirrel!

Hi there Tracey, Iv just read your story dated 2009, its now 2017 and these vile disgusting squirrels are still driving people nuts..

Iv had numerous beautiful plants ruinedcas they go for the bulbs. I live in London and have a large balcony,the balcony also holds things we only use now and then. Wevdidnt know they could get into other stuff. They have eaten and ruined soooo much. Tent cost a few hundred pounds years ago and all other material things we had there.Last night I put VICK all around rims of plants... Please did you ever find a way to be rid of them

We are having a problem with squirrels coming in our house after ripping the screen on the window above our sink in the kitchen. I have already replaced the screen on the window once and I don't want to do it again, before I can repel these nasty things. They are just a plain nuisance. I heard about using a repellent like "Squirrel Away" or I heard filling a nylon stocking with moth balls will work.

I would appreciate any ideas that are known to have worked in a similar situation. Thanks, I'll be checking for your replies.

Mike from CT

Answers:

Getting Rid of Squirrels

I had an exterminator come out to our house, because squirrels had broken the screen to the window in the louver window in the attic. He put a cage outside the window with food and the squirrels got trapped in the cage. Every day he would come to take a squirrel away until they were gone. (09/08/2005)

By SueBee

Getting Rid of Squirrels

I had a horrible problem with squirrels at an apartment complex I managed. We tried everything, then I read that rodents hate the smell of Pine-Sol. We soaked some rags with it and put them in the holes in the eaves of the affected buildings. No more squirrels. Maybe you can use this and adapt it to your area. Good luck. (09/08/2005)

By Nancy in MO

Getting Rid of Squirrels

Shoot them with a super soaker. Eventually they learn. (09/18/2007)

By Pat

Getting Rid of Squirrels

Well, my first tactic worked like a charm. Mothballs. I haven't heard a scritch or a scratch since yesterday when I tossed them in the attic, and in the hole they made in the side of the house. I actually got a full nights sleep. Mothballs rock. (11/30/2007)

By Pete

Getting Rid of Squirrels

Squirrels have been eating the bark off of our Red Bud tree for a long time and have damaged it considerably. After trying almost everything we read about on the internet, we finally found a solution that works. We wrapped a 3 foot wide piece of 4 mill clear plastic around the trunk of the tree, approximately 2 feet from the ground. They try to jump on the tree trunk but bounce off. Our tree has been saved and the squirrels do not get hurt, just aggravated. (05/15/2009)

By kaylenmar