Removing Candle Wax from Carpet and Wall

My cat knocked over my scented wax warmer and the wax is on my wall, wood border, and carpet. How do I get it cleaned off without damaging the painted wall, wood work, and carpet?

By Caph from OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

First of all you should send the naughty kitty into the corner! (Lol.) You could try scraping it off carefully with a plastic spoon, then use a degreaser cleaner an scrub with reg sponge (the hard side). The carpet is so easy! Simply scrape as much as you can up with metal spoon then put a paper towel on it, double it up in fact. Then carefully put a cloth on it and iron it it when its on low setting and move the towel around to get it all, the wax will be absorbed in to the towel (thank you Martha Stewart!) and it won't leave a stain. Good luck!

Answer

I recently blew out my candles and the wax got all over my carpet. I put down some Bounty paper towels then used my hair dryer to heat the area and the wax came right up.

By Julia from Mocksville, NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a red candle sitting on a candle warmer on top of the old radiator (doesn't work anymore). My cat knocked the candle onto the carpet. I scraped as much of it as I could and vacuumed the rest. I then used the paper towel and iron method, but it didn't pull all of the wax out of the carpet. There is still some left. I am at a loss as to what to do now. Any further suggestions?

Also, it did stain the radiator and window sill. Should I just paint over it, or are there any suggestions to get the pink color off of the paint?

By Briannaleam from ID

I don't know about the color stain, but you can remove more of the wax from the carpet by laying a piece of brown paper bag over it and ironing it with a dry iron. It will melt the wax and the paper will absorb it. I would then try Oxy-clean on the stain. Or maybe Goof-off or something similar. (05/27/2009)

By Mary T

Try an ice-cube like we're told with chewing gum?
(05/30/2009)

By Marg from England

The same thing happened to my mom when my dad's min pin knocked over a candle.

She took white paper towels and put down over the stain and used a dry iron set to low-medium heat. She ran the warm iron over the towels.The heat from the iron melted the wax and the paper towels soaked it up. Change the towels out as they become soaked with wax. She was able to get all the wax up. Afterwards she used a can of carpet cleaner on it. I think the carpet cleaner she used was the Resolve brand.

You can not tell where the stain was at all. (05/30/2009)

By tammyk1967

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetDecember 31, 2010
Melted Candle Wax
Removing Candle Wax from Carpet
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 19, 2016 at 1:39:25 AM on 10.0.1.137 in 542 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.