Using Milk for Ink Stains

Ink stain on shirt? Use milk, pour the milk on the ink stain and wait for a minute or two then wash and hang up to dry. Don't dry in dryer as it will set the stain. If ink stain is still there pour more milk on and wash again.

By Shirley V. from Fulton, NY

Editor's Note: We would love to hear some feedback about this tip. It seems funny that milk would get ink. Has anyone else tried this?

Wonder if the enzymens in the milk have anything to do with it?

this is a very old tip, i can remember when we used fountain pens in school, with bottled ink, if we got this on our dresses, my mother would soak them in milk, got the stain out everytime ... easier to spray the stain with hairspray INMO

Yes!! It works. I've done it several times and works every time... :)

I think that it works because milk is an emulsion--that is, it works because milk has some elements that attract both water and oil componants. Egg yolk is the same thing...will mix with both oil and water. Some inks have an oil-soluble base; therefore they would dissolve and be removed in milk, which could then be rinsed with water!!

Just a chemist weighing in on the situation...hope that makes sense. :)

Editor's Note: Thanks Anna, that makes sense.

I had a pen leak in a pocket of a white shirt. I tried soaking it in milk repeatedly, and although the stain was not as dark, I still had to thrown the shirt out. From my experience, I will not do this again as it doesn't work.

Crazy to imagine it would work but I have used this method many times with success.

I have used milk many times over the years on my husbands dress shirts from work... only once did it not remove the ink. It is my go to ink remover.

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJuly 26, 2006
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Ink stain on a white shirt.
Removing Pen Ink from Clothing