Easy Brick Herb Garden

A great weekend craft for anyone who uses herbs in the kitchen or anyone who wants to spruce up their yard.

Tip: This craft makes use of old bricks. They needn't be perfect; actually the more character the better!

Approximate Time to Complete: 60 minutes or longer depending on size of garden

• a selection of used bricks (I used 31 bricks to build my garden)
  • 7 assorted herb plants (I used sage, camomile, basil, spearmint, peppermint, summer savoury, and lemon balm)
  • sheep manure
  • spade
  • shovel
  • rake
  • soil

Lay out: Before beginning, decide how you will lay out your garden. Use the picture as a guide. Also take into consideration if the plants require full sun or partial shade when deciding on a garden plot location.

Preparing garden plot: If you already have an area to place the garden, add manure and soil only if necessary. Go to the Assembly instructions.

If you do not already have an area to place the garden, you must pull up and remove sod, add sheep manure, and add new soil to the garden. You will make use of the garden tools at this stage of the project.

Assembly: Once the garden plot has been prepared, you will began to place bricks in the format you have decided on. Make sure to level the soil before beginning. Start with the inside bricks first to ensure you have enough space on the inside. Create 7 separate sections, each divided by 2 bricks placed on their sides. Then move on to create the edging. Place the bricks against each other to form a neat looking wall. Fill any gaps with soil. Once the edging has been completed, place one herb plant in each of the 7 sections. Water plants to ensure a successful transplant to the new location.

Enjoy your new easy herb garden and with a little tender loving care, you should be able to harvest herbs for cooking in no time at all.

By Lisa from Halifax, Nova Scotia

Herb garden next to pathway.

This is an absolutely great idea. I may be planting one of these for myself, since it doesn't take up much room. I like how each one is labeled. Just a note: You may want to contain the mints, they'll overtake your entire yard like a bad weed if you don't.

This is a really neat Idea, I am going to start mine

today! thanks for the great idea.

this is such a great idea! I just passed some free bricks because there weren't that many, but I'm sure there were 30 something of them!! darn, I will try to get them tomorrow, hopefully they will still be there!

oh my goodness what a wonderful idea!! I have some bricks laying aound . Mine wont be as big as yours or as long but its just me so one brick size for each one will work wonderfully!! thanks for an adorable idea!!!!! How did you ever come up with such a clever idea?

REAL PRETTY! WARNING: The two mints and lemon

Rosemary, Penny Royal, and Oregano instead?

God bless you. : )

What a great use of old bricks that may be laying around, and a fairly inexpensive 'raised' bed even if not.

I agree, do beware of mints. I wouldn't personally worry about them seeding so much as the root system. They can go down and over and around quicker than you can imagine. lol I plant mints in pots only these days, or if in a bed, with a pot submerged (with the bottom cut out) around the plant to help contain the roots.

Growing Herbs
Growing Herbs
Crafts Garden & YardJune 13, 2007
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Aero Herb Garden
Planting an Aero Herb Garden Kit
man painting brick
Painting or Staining Brick
brick walkway with host
Removing Olive Oil Stains on Brick