Repairing A Cracked Plastic Tub

By Sarah Leach 10 150

There's no way to afford a new tub right now. Does anyone know how to repair a plastic bathtub? I have a garden tub and the seat is cracked to the point that unless I keep duct tape (the only thing to stay on more than a few days so far) over the crack, the tub leaks horribly. Thanks in advance.

By shosha from Berrien Springs, MI

Filter Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

July 1, 2008Best Answer

I ran into this problem when I was renting a mobile home. I used Bondo. I think thats how its spelled. Its the same product they use to repair fiber glass bodies on car. Instructions are on the can and its not hard to do.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Deanj 917 Flag

September 1, 2009Best Answer

You could try a epoxy adhesive. They are water proof. The best are two part adhesives. They are available at Home Depot and Lowes. You will find them in the paint section. read and follow directions.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Julie 3 Flag

September 1, 2009Best Answer

It depends on how big the crack is. One option (if it is a small crack) is model glue (found in the model toy section at box stores). This works by melding the plastic together.

If there are chunks missing out of it, there are a few options. Epoxy (already mentioned), water-proof caulk, and I also think there is a JB weld for plastics (found in most Ace Hardware stores).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dena Roberts 35 491 Flag

September 3, 2009Best Answer

Try going to a bathtub sales store and explain your predicament to them. They don't bite! They will tell you what to use and how to do it. Lowes and Home Hardware will probably be your best bets. Good luck. Take a picture, if possible.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marty Dick 167 967 Flag

Ages ago DH bought a fiberglass tub/shower with some damage. It leaked a bit. He bought a fiberglass repair kit, a horrible smelling concoction with mesh to attach to the shower wall. It wasn't attractive but it stopped the leaking. Maybe that would adhere to your plastic. If it looks too bad some decals would cover it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sarah Leach 10 150 Flag

There's not a place to edit the original post, so here I am with further explanation:

The crack is in the inner curve of the built in seat/step of a plastic garden tub. At this point it's only a crack about 7 or 8 inches long. I've tried caulking the crack and also tried using Gorilla Glue, both of which peeled off. However, at the time I didn't realize that I needed to scuff the area with sandpaper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cajun 59 327 Flag

I doubt that ordinary glue would make a repair; you should also use Acetone to clean the surface area before attempting to patch. I wonder if a Hot Glue application would suffice?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Virginia 13 115 Flag

Just about any auto parts store will have the fiberglass repair kit and I think it's probably your only option at this time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By grumpy 4 Flag

If it is ABS or other solvent reactive plastic, check out the products on this website www.plasti-mend.com. They work very well. They will even fill in the holes. You can contact them with any questions.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Repairing A Cracked Plastic Tub

I have a mobile home and the bathtub edge has cracked over the years and has big pieces out of it. I don't know what the material is, but I need to repair it until I can afford to replace the tub with a shower surround. I have duct taped it, but that is only a stop gap. Anybody got any ideas? It's kind of like a plastic type material, very cheesy.

Linda from Adirondack Mtns, NY

Feedback:

RE: Repairing A Cracked Plastic Tub

There is a site called mobilehomerepair.com. There is some great information on how to fix just about anything that has to do with mobile homes. Just Google it and check out their forums.

By falldowngobump

RE: Repairing A Cracked Plastic Tub

I ran into this problem when I was renting a mobile home. I used Bondo. I think that's how its spelled. Its the same product they use to repair fiber glass bodies on car. Instructions are on the can and its not hard to do. (07/01/2008)

By duckie43

Home and Garden Repair Home BathroomSeptember 1, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Pink Purse on White Background
Repairing Purses
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2016 at 1:52:39 AM on 10.0.0.18 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings