Repairing A Cracked Plastic Tub

There's no way to afford a new tub right now. Does anyone know how to repair a plastic bathtub? I have a garden tub and the seat is cracked to the point that unless I keep duct tape (the only thing to stay on more than a few days so far) over the crack, the tub leaks horribly. Thanks in advance.

By shosha from Berrien Springs, MI

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I ran into this problem when I was renting a mobile home. I used Bondo. I think thats how its spelled. Its the same product they use to repair fiber glass bodies on car. Instructions are on the can and its not hard to do.

Best Answer

You could try a epoxy adhesive. They are water proof. The best are two part adhesives. They are available at Home Depot and Lowes. You will find them in the paint section. read and follow directions.

Best Answer

It depends on how big the crack is. One option (if it is a small crack) is model glue (found in the model toy section at box stores). This works by melding the plastic together.

If there are chunks missing out of it, there are a few options. Epoxy (already mentioned), water-proof caulk, and I also think there is a JB weld for plastics (found in most Ace Hardware stores).

Best Answer

Try going to a bathtub sales store and explain your predicament to them. They don't bite! They will tell you what to use and how to do it. Lowes and Home Hardware will probably be your best bets. Good luck. Take a picture, if possible.

Ages ago DH bought a fiberglass tub/shower with some damage. It leaked a bit. He bought a fiberglass repair kit, a horrible smelling concoction with mesh to attach to the shower wall. It wasn't attractive but it stopped the leaking. Maybe that would adhere to your plastic. If it looks too bad some decals would cover it.

There's not a place to edit the original post, so here I am with further explanation:

The crack is in the inner curve of the built in seat/step of a plastic garden tub. At this point it's only a crack about 7 or 8 inches long. I've tried caulking the crack and also tried using Gorilla Glue, both of which peeled off. However, at the time I didn't realize that I needed to scuff the area with sandpaper.

I doubt that ordinary glue would make a repair; you should also use Acetone to clean the surface area before attempting to patch. I wonder if a Hot Glue application would suffice?

Just about any auto parts store will have the fiberglass repair kit and I think it's probably your only option at this time.

If it is ABS or other solvent reactive plastic, check out the products on this website www.plasti-mend.com. They work very well. They will even fill in the holes. You can contact them with any questions.

Answer

I have a mobile home and the bathtub edge has cracked over the years and has big pieces out of it. I don't know what the material is, but I need to repair it until I can afford to replace the tub with a shower surround. I have duct taped it, but that is only a stop gap. Anybody got any ideas? It's kind of like a plastic type material, very cheesy.

Linda from Adirondack Mtns, NY

Answers:

Repairing A Cracked Plastic Tub

There is a site called mobilehomerepair.com. There is some great information on how to fix just about anything that has to do with mobile homes. Just Google it and check out their forums.

By falldowngobump

Repairing A Cracked Plastic Tub

I ran into this problem when I was renting a mobile home. I used Bondo. I think that's how its spelled. Its the same product they use to repair fiber glass bodies on car. Instructions are on the can and its not hard to do. (07/01/2008)

By duckie43

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Close up image of a plastic shower base with a crack in it
Repairing a Crack in a Plastic Tub or Shower
Home and Garden Repair Home BathroomSeptember 1, 2009
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Cracked Fingertips
Remedies for Cracked Fingertips
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 22, 2016 at 7:07:30 PM on 10.0.1.191 in 648 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.