Slime in My Steam Iron

My steam iron has a see-through window for the water reservoir, and slime has grown in it. I have filled and emptied it many times to try to remove the slime, but it is very stubborn! Is there anything I can use to dissolve the pieces of slime. Occassionally bits break up and can stain clothing by coming out with the spray or steam.

E Girl from NSW Australia

Have you tried letting it sit awhile with pure white vinegar? It shouldn't hurt to try....then, of course, empty it and rinse.

Yep .. vinegar should clean it right out ... I would steam some of the vinegar through the iron to clean everything out. Just be sure to rinse with water a few times so the vinegar won't discolor or damage the next item you iron!

Good Luck!

Rebekah

Yeppers, white vinegar will clear it up.

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning ToolsMarch 6, 2006
Steam Iron
Removing Rust from Steam Iron
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Making Slime
Making Slime for Kids
Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner Doesn't Release Steam
🎉
🎄