Thinning Paint to Sponge Cabinets

I want to thin paint so I can sponge it on my kitchen cabinets. I assumed that what I wanted to do was called whitewashing, but everything I've read says otherwise. What's the right mixture?

By hlybg2000 from NC

Yes, you can thin your paint for sponging techniques. It is best to have a "thicker" consistency when sponging rather than a "watery" one. When you say whitewash, is that more of an overall finish, like "pickled" pine or oak? If that is the finish you want, then a more watery consistency is required.

As for amounts, it is strictly trial and error. Try a small amount of paint mixed with an equal part of water (I am thinking 1/4 cup of each), mix well, and test on the inside of the cupboard door. Keep adding and mixing until you get a consistency you like. Have fun, and good luck

It's my understanding that whitewashing is staining over natural wood before any other finish is applied. It seems to be related to an opaque wood stain rather than solid wood stain. Suggest always trying an inconspicuous place first to test whatever you decide. It's always trial and error, you know.

It's not like antiquing we did in the 60's and 70's, but more like a film over light colored wood. Doesn't work well at all over dark wood, believe me, unless you have stripped and bleached the wood first. Let us know and show pics if you can?

God bless and help you! : )