Reusing Plastic Drink Bottles

I save these wonderful little plastic bottles from teas and "ice" drinks, because they are perfect for redoing the condiment shelves in the fridge. They're all the same size, and I write what is in each one on the lids. But, that isn't the tip. I also have my friends and family save these wonderful coffee containers. When moving, I found that four fit inside the other, and the brain started thinking.

Camping and picnic season is upon us. If you are diabetic like me, you could separate your sugar free drinks or water in the coolers like this. You can also keep your condiments from rolling around in there this way, too. You can fill them to about 1/2 inch from the top and freeze them, making them the perfect ice chest cooler that won't melt all over everything. I would put them all in the coffee canister before you put them in the freezer as they might expand.

We should all carry water in our cars over the hot months, and this would sit up in a crate a lot better than a gallon jug would. I found that they are pretty tight in there, so even if it rolled around they would not come out as easy.

I can't imagine anyone needing that many buttons or beads for travel, but if you did, they are a lot more reliable than zip locks.

So, how many things can you all come up with to help us all stay thrifty and organized? Tag - you're it!

By Sandi from Salem OR

It's a great idea to reuse the coffee containers as a large carryall holder for these bottles, Sandi, but please know that it is not safe to reuse plastic which is anything other than food grade recycle #2, #4 and #5 for direct contact with food or beverages because all of the others leach harmful chemicals after their initial use. Water, cold tea, juice, etc bottles are recycle #1 :-(

I know I've heard the thing about not reusing plastic bottles many times. I will admit I do it anyway. Somehow I just don't think it's reusing a plastic bottle that's going to get me. It seems to me that all the artificial ingredients and preservatives in our food and the fumes from car exhaust has to be worse. My motto is wear a seat belt, take a vitamin, and everything else in moderation.

Perhaps, but to each his own. Some of us can be a bit too clinical, technical, or down right cynical. I agree with Beth, I could do more harm to myself by taking a walk, breathing in exhaust, and buying a coffee out of a styrofoam cup!

I think this would also be a great way to bring cut flowers from the garden to the house. The container wouldn't tip over and the flowers would stay hydrated till you are ready to arrange. Anne

Uses for Plastic Pop Bottles
Uses for Plastic Pop Bottles
Better Living Green Living ReusingMay 24, 2011
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container