Leave No Trace Hiking

Hiking is great way to get outside and enjoy nature. Day hiking costs practically nothing and it is easy to get started. All you need is some comfortable shoes, adequate clothing, and some water and you can go out and explore your surroundings.

Hear the birds chirp, watch the squirrels play and try to enjoy nature without all the sounds and distractions of modern life. Because hiking is all about nature, it is important to preserve the area that you have come to hike through. There is an effort underway by hikers everywhere to Leave No Trace. That is, do not do anything to disturb or alter the environment you are in.

Anyone can Leave No Trace by simply following a few tips.

• Plan ahead: Keep groups small, walk single file and avoid shortcuts to limit damage to the area.

• Travel on durable surfaces: Surfaces such as sand, gravel, and rock are durable and can withstand heavy use. If camping, try to use existing campsites; keep them small and out of sight from trails. Remember yellow tent in the middle of the woods does not seem natural to those passing by.

• Properly dispose of waste: If you bring trash into an area, be sure to take it out when you go. Dispose of human waste in cat holes dug 6-8 inches deep at least 200 feet away from any water source. Fill it in when finished. Always take out all toilet paper and hygiene products.

• Don't take anything: You can look, but don't take. Leave everything that you find where it belongs.

• Keep your campfire small or go without: Always use previously constructed fire rings or mounds if possible. Never burn more than is absolutely required and make sure your campfire is completely out before you leave camp.

• Don't bother the animals: Do not attract or approach animals. Never feed them. At camp, cook away from the tent and thoroughly seal any food when finished to avoid attracting insects and animals.

• Be considerate of other visitors: Keep voices from getting too loud. Obey any posted trail rules including rights of way.

Now that you know how to Leave No Trace, get out there and explore. You never know what you might see.

By Brandi

Just a suggestion but you need not hike a long distance.

i just go maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile and find cover .Then I sit back and become part of the woods.

After maybe 15 or 20 minutes the wildlife gets use to you and go about their business.

Oh and as you sit there, You will notice hundreds of plants hear sounds you probably would have overlooked hiking.

I once got so involve where I was I actually heard a harmless snake slittering through the grass close bye.

As far as taking civilization with me on these ventures. NO! Maybe a canteen a pocket knife ,a watch and a magifying glass.

As far as cameras I have found the animals are not in favor of them . My camera is my mind and I am out there in the woods because I want to be.

I once went on a hike at a church camp with a half dozen people. You would have thought it a foot race.

There is so much to discover out in the woods. And even a person such as myself who just stays in one place only gets to see a small percentage that is in front of me.

I will tell you this The experience is worth the effort.

Thank You

A woman hiking.
Hiking Tips
Travel and Recreation Recreation HikingMay 14, 2006
spilled ink on document
Removing Ink From Paper
shoes on a yoga mat
Making Yoga Mat Insoles
young boy blowing huge bubble
Removing Gum From Carpet
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb
Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs