Will Facial Contour Change After Tooth Extraction? - Categories:

AdviceHealth & Beauty

Will Facial Contour Change After Tooth Extraction?

If I have a jaw tooth pulled and don't get a partial, bridge, or implant to replace the tooth. Will my teeth shift or my face contour change at my age? I'm 68 yrs old. I have no other missing teeth. You can't see this tooth in question, when I smile.

By txbetty from Lubbock, TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

That's a question that only a dentist can answer!

No! Your face will stay the same. I have a crown that fell off one night while eating a piece of chicken and I've yet to get it fixed. You can't tell that the tooth is not there. The only way you will know it is if I tell you. :o)

As a Registered Dental assistant since 1987 and dental assistant since 1976. Your teeth will move, Depending on where the missing tooth will be. If it is the last tooth without another behind it, then you might expect the tooth below or above it to move to meet it's partner. If it's between other teeth then the tooth behind usually moves forward, again the tooth above or below will shift to meet tooth (even with a crown missing, which means cutting more tooth down and hoping there's room to place a crown later) If it were me an implant is the best, a bridge next and partial second. Think about it. Your teeth are the only thing you can take with you when you go. Invest in yourself your worth it. Used to be that models would have their wisdom teeth or 3rd molars extracted to give them a gaunt look.

Hope this helps.

I only have 16 teeth left. I wear a partial denture on the top, so the top is full. However, on the bottom, I only have teeth from the left to just past the middle. In other words, I have no teeth on the bottom right of my mouth and you cant tell at all when you look at me. Obviously, I just cant chew very well on that side. I wouldn't worry about it. Good Luck!

I had a tooth pulled upper right and it is not noticable. My face and teeth have not changed. The dentist did tell me that it might shift and then I could get a bridge if I desired. I'm only 43 and the tooth has been out about 8 years.

My boyfriend has had a few teeth removed here and there top and bottom. His face has changed.

You may not notice in your face but they move. I had bottom tooth extracted. The rest all moved around to help fill in that area.

Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 4, 2009
Woman with facial mask and cukes on eyes.
Homemade Facial Cleanser Recipes
Man with a sore mouth.
Caring for Your Gums After a Tooth Extraction
Girl Holding her Lost Tooth
Tooth Fairy Ideas
Woman Having Tooth Pulled
Eating After Having Teeth Pulled
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 3:20:39 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.