Supply List for a New Sewer

I received a sewing machine for Christmas and was hoping someone could provide me a basic list of things I'll need to get started. What are the necessary items for a new sewer? Thank you in advance.

By Barb from Mountaindale, NY

You need a good pair of bent handle scissors (I prefer Fiskars), some pinking shears, tape measure, a large quantity of straight pens, seam ripper, various types of machine needles. You'll need something to mark. I use dry soap scraps. And I would advise anyone to get a good sewing book. I still use my McCall's book from the 60s or 70s. I can't even remember when I got it. Your book will have a more complete list of supplies. I'm sure I forgot something. Enjoy!

My opinion is it depends on what you are going to be sewing. I have never had all of the supplies listed in sewing books or even what the Home Ec. teachers in high school recommended. I know one lady that instead of pins uses water glasses to hold patterns on the fabric, which I think would be really awkward, but she swear by it.

For marking I use the old fashioned tailor's tacks that I was taught in Home Ec. class back in the 50s. If you are cutting basic quilt squares(nothing fancy) what I do is cut a piece of cardboard the size of squares I want, and lay them on the fabric and just use a ball point pen to draw around them, it works for me. I never use pinking shears, I have learned other ways of finishing seams that are much more professional, probably take more time, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. lol

Thanks so much for all the input. Off to the fabric store I go.

You need some electric scissors, weights to hold patterns in place from fabric store. They are round in a small plastic container, a very good light on or near the machine, on folding tables, one for the machine, one to use for cutting out items, a box near the machine to hold small items, (shoe box) markers, bobbins, needles & etc,patterns for what you will be making, a box for patterns, a box for thread & etc, I use chalk for a marker, I got a 3 clear plastic box container with wheels at Dollar store to hold thread, buttons, measuring tape. You'll also need a 3 feet ruler & ironing board. If you want to make money sewing, just put ad in paper or a sign out front,"I sew". You will have plenty of work, keep us posted on your work, good luck.

I just remembered some rather off beat things I use. First, I have tweezers. I used to make a lot of Barbie clothes for friends who had girls but didn't sew. My hands are large and I have trouble turning the sleeves on doll clothes so I stuck a pair of tweezers in my sewing stuff. I also use a wooden spoon when I make pillows. When I turn them after stitching I just push the spoon inside and it helps to flatten the corners and make them smooth.

Crafts SewingJanuary 13, 2010
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Peppermint Candy Bowls
Making a Peppermint Candy Bowl
A Christmas wreath made from neckties.
Crafts Using Neckties
house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line