Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Rooting A Cutting From A Lilac Bush

How can I start a lilac bush from a bush clipping?

By Ruth from Hunnewell, KS

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Wendy Cush04/29/2012

I took shoots from my 60 year old lilac bush last summer to plant at a new house and they are growing nicely. All I did was chop shoots with a shovel and stick in the ground with a lot of water. I didn't water again and never fed. No blooms yet but I understand it takes a few years of growth before they bloom.

By Lee [4]04/10/2011

I am always taking cuttings from people, and have found that they only root at certain times, I think in spring, and you will need root starter.

By Lee [4]04/10/2011

You don't bother with a cutting. I don't know if this is true or not but I took shoots from a friend, planted in 5 spots, and the one that did the best was the one I planted 2 together. Be careful if you weed and feed, I got to close to them and they turned black on me. Hoping they come back this year.

By Ann Winberg [282]04/10/2011

Lilacs put out shoots, little upstart plants around the base, that is the easiest way to start a new plant. I am not sure you would have any luck starting one from a cutting. But I wish you luck, I have never had one root myself either in water or soil.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Rooting A Cutting From A Lilac Bush

How do I root and/or transplant a cutting from a lilac bush?