Rooting A Cutting From A Lilac Bush

How can I start a lilac bush from a bush clipping?

By Ruth from Hunnewell, KS

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I took shoots from my 60 year old lilac bush last summer to plant at a new house and they are growing nicely. All I did was chop shoots with a shovel and stick in the ground with a lot of water. I didn't water again and never fed. No blooms yet but I understand it takes a few years of growth before they bloom.

Lilacs put out shoots, little upstart plants around the base, that is the easiest way to start a new plant. I am not sure you would have any luck starting one from a cutting. But I wish you luck, I have never had one root myself either in water or soil.

You don't bother with a cutting. I don't know if this is true or not but I took shoots from a friend, planted in 5 spots, and the one that did the best was the one I planted 2 together. Be careful if you weed and feed, I got to close to them and they turned black on me. Hoping they come back this year.

I am always taking cuttings from people, and have found that they only root at certain times, I think in spring, and you will need root starter.

Answer

Home and Garden Gardening RootingApril 10, 2011
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 22, 2016 at 10:02:39 AM on 10.0.1.68 in 253 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.