Are Macs Good Computers?

Is a Mac a good computer? Why?

Best Answer

I have never owned a computer that wasn't a Macintosh. I'm using a Mac Mini right now and it is the best computer I have ever used. It wasn't very expensive, runs great and is so small. People have come over and asked where my computer is because all they can see is the monitor, they miss the little box on the side.

I used to work at Kinko's and I had to use both PC's and Macs on a regular basis. I could often get the Mac to read corrupted files that the PC couldn't touch, or convert odd programs. They are very versatile. The operating systems are really quite similar in looks and feel if you are concerned about transitioning over. The Mac just incorporates everything into one big package.

Let us know what you do and how you like the Mac if you take the plunge.

I've been using Macs since the mid-eighties and currently use a Mac for all my day to day work. In my opinion, there has never been a better time to get into Macs.

Macs cost about the same as comparable PCs. You can buy cheaper PCs, but if you compare equal features the Macs come out about even. Macs are often smaller, have fewer cables, and use a bit less power than a comparable PC.

Macs comes with a nice suite of software. The email and Web browser are good. The built-in multimedia applications make it possible to create your own music, videos, Web sites, and to manage your photos and downloaded music and other media. The most recent Mac operating system has nice built-in search and backup features.

All Macs now have Intel chips inside. This means that every Mac is actually a PC as well. You can install Windows on your Mac or you can use virtualization software like Parallels which lets you run Windows alongside your Mac applications.

The biggest advantage of the Mac I've found over the years is that a lot of things just work. In general when I plug in a printer, a DVD recorder, external hard drives, video cameras, digital cameras, iPods, keyboards, mice, etc. the Mac recognizes them automatically. This means that I don't spend a lot of time messing around with configuration.

The previous poster left out one of the biggest advantages of Macs: they do not fall victim to viruses the way PCs do. I've seen people lose everything on their computers while mine remained untouched. The ease of use is another benefit--Macs are designed to be user-friendly, and Microsoft Windows was originally developed to borrow the Mac user-friendly features.

I have loved Macs since I first got one. They truly are elegant, but more than that, they are all built by the same company who designed the operating system. I believe that factor accounts for a lot of headaches that are NORMAL for people who own PC's and RARE for Mac owners. I have never owned a brand new mac yet. Surely, if I can sing the praises of a computer that's 3 years old when I first touch it, that makes Macs worth serious consideration.

I've grown up in a Mac family and since going to college and using a PC for two years, I can tell you that I've never had as much trouble with a computer as I've had with my Windows laptop. The only benefit is there's more freeware for PCs as well as more compatibility with most people's office computers, making uploading resumes, documents etc easier. However you can now buy MS Office for Macs so it's not so much of an issue.

Macs require less than half of the maintenance that PCs need, are intuitive to use once you get the hang of it, and are generally better-built than many PCs. Plus they're now as cheap or cheaper in some cases than PCs.

Go with Mac, I think you'll like it.

I was 6 yrs old when I began to use a Mac. This was 1982 back then. Those sometimes looked cool or some looked like a desktop, but the programs I played with (paints) and others were great. Then at age 9 or so she said -we are now switching to Windows- and that was what I was taught in school, and I lost the touch on the Apple, my parents did not want one. I need to buy one immediately, I know. Windows is what my B/F uses for his biz in computer repair and its awful in every aspect.

Web-Happy Cats

Computers BuyingMay 21, 2008
Woman Recycling Her Old Cell Phone
Recycling Your Old Cell Phones And Computers
Old Desktop Computer
Getting Rid of Old Computers
Saving Money on Computers
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks