Laundry - Making Whites Whiter

Whenever I do a load of whites I use Tide with bleach alternative, Calgon water softener, vinegar and Borax. I begin to add HOT water to machine then pour in all ingredients approx 1/2 cup of liquids and about 1/4 cup of Calgon and Borax. Allow all the ingredients to dissolve first before adding clothes! Nothing, (not even bleach) gets my clothes whiter than this method.

I get yellow armpit stains in my whites that I can't get out. Does this method work for that also? Thanks for the recipe; I'll try it on my next load of whites!

I have used all these methods, but not in this combination and THANK YOU for the ideas. Just getting ready to do a couple of loads of white that have been waiting too long, and I know I will be happier than the usual laundry days!

For stains that don't come out and can't be laundered so thoroughly, I still use lemon juice and sunshine as in the old days. Sometimes requires several tries, so only use on valued items, but did you ever wonder how people in the olden days managed to keep things white? Lemon juice and baking soda and sunshine were my great grandmother's tools for her valued lace table cloths and antimacassars. I started using the same on white shirt collars and coffee stains on front of white blouses and it still works.

Sounds like a great idea....but is that 1/2 cup liquids for each or 1/2 cup combined. Also 1/4 cup Calgon and Borax for each or 1/4 cup combined?

Thanks for your help.

When I wash my restaurant towels, I use 1 cup bleach, 1 cup powdered dishwashing detergent and 1 cup Sam's Club laundry detergent to a full washer load of HOT water. It takes ANYTHING out - mustard, catsup, grease, chocolate, etc. If they are really bad, I rinse them first in warm water with a cup of Sams detergent. Works every time!

maybe a random question.. but what is calgon & borax? where can i find them? bc i'm obsessed with WHITE whites, and end up throwing old dingy whites out! i need to stop the!

Editor's note: Calgon is a water softener and borax is a laundry booster additive. They can both be found in the laundry section of the grocery store, usually near to top with the non chlorine bleach. Borax is sold as 20 Mule Team Borax

What about front loaders?

White t-shirts hanging on a clothesline.
Getting Your Whites Really White
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryAugust 17, 2006
Stack of white linens with a white flower resting on top
Cleaning Whites Without Bleach
Beating Egg Whites
Tips for Beating Egg Whites
Using Bluing
Distressed woman looking at white towel in laundry room
Whites Aren't White After Washing