Removing Red Stain from Carpet

I have found a mystery red spot on my green carpet. Any advice on how to remove it? It's about a salad plate sized spot.

By Sandy from WI

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I have in the past used Windex on a red kool-aid stain. Spray first somewhere to test for color safety. I sprayed the stain liberally, placed a towel over it and laid a couple of heavy books on it. It took several treatments but it did remove the stain.

July 25, 2010 Flag

Removing Red Stain from Carpet
How do I get rid of a red dye stain in my carpet? It is from my cat and I have tried cleaners. It has been there for 3 or 4 days.

By blinggirl13 from Tampa, FL

Answers:

Removing Red Stain from Carpet

When I had a professional clean our office carpets, he told me that red spills are difficult to remove (and he said that red Kool-Aid is impossible to remove). What, exactly, is your stain? You said it's from your cats, but it doesn't look like blood, pee, or vomit. Did they knock something over? If it's some sort of bodily fluid, I'd suggest starting with an enzymatic cleaner. If they knocked something over, try something with peroxide, like Oxi-Clean. It looks like your carpet is beige, so I doubt it'll make it look worse. But if you're worried about it, please test in a hidden spot (like a closet) first.

These are guesses. I hope you find something that works for you. Best of luck! (06/13/2010)

By mrs.story

Removing Red Stain from Carpet

Depending on the stain there are several avenues you can take. If it is blood you can foam some of it away with peroxide. The best stain remover we have found is Kaboom with 3x oxy cleaner in it. I work in an Assisted Living and we are always encountering stains. Try it, it won't hurt the carpet and it should come up. (06/15/2010)

By maphisx7

Removing Red Stain from Carpet

The best way to remove red/orange stains is to use steam. If you don't have access to any type of steam cleaning machine, try putting a wet, white towel or other wet, white, absorbent clean rag on top of the stain. Put your iron on high at the steam setting. DO NOT rub the iron back and forth on your rug! Damage could occur. Instead, hold the iron above the wet towel and steam until the stain pulls up into the white towel. This seems to work most of the time. You may need to do this several times to remove all of the stain.

The cleaner I'd suggest is Oxiclean, but be sure to test it first in an inconspicuous place before attempting. Then blot, blot, blot! (06/15/2010)

By rabbit10mom

Removing Red Stain from Carpet

I suspect the red is from red dye in dry cat food. I have written to several cat food manufacturers telling them that I will not buy their food because of the red dye used. Cats don't care what color their food is and the dye does nothing, but stain carpets, furniture, etc. Check ingredients and look for one without it, they are available. Good luck getting that out, red is tough! (07/05/2010)

By SieraStar

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

March 24, 2011 Flag

How can I get red liquid potpourri stain out of my living room carpet?

By Dee J from Atlanta

Answers:

Removing Red Stain from Carpet

I'll tell you what worked for a pitcher of red Koolaid spilled on my carpet. Dilute bleach by half and spray from a garden bottle until stain is saturated. Once stain is bleached completely out (takes several spray sessions), you'll have a white spot on your carpet. Now, if it is tan or another shade of brown, use coffee diluted by half from another garden spray bottle on the white spot until colors are matched up again. Hope this helps! (09/20/2010)

By AlaskanAurora

Removing Red Stain from Carpet

Use straight 3% hydrogen peroxide that you can purchase OTC at just about any store. Pour a little on, allow to set for a minute, soak up with a rag and continue until the stain is removed. You want to test this in an inconspicuous spot for carpet color fastness first. For most carpets it will not remove the carpet color like using any amount of bleach will, but rather will remove some or all of the stain only. Gently clean with soap and water afterwards. (09/22/2010)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 18, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to get red jello stain out of carpet?

By Shann from Sonoita, AZ

Answers:

Removing Red Stain from Carpet

Try Dawn dish washing detergent. (07/31/2010)

By Merlene

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetMarch 24, 2011
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 3:29:50 AM on 10.0.0.245 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.