Refinishing an Old End Table

By Elaine 173 889

I got this table free at a garage sale. It was not in the best of shape as one drawer was stuck and the outside just needed help. I was pretty sure I could refinish the top, but the bottom of the end table had too much "curly ques" to spend the time on. This table was definitely outdated with the old hardware too. My "after" pic does not show handles as I redid this for my son and thought he might like to pick out his own handles. Old chest of drawers Refinished chest of drawers

Refinished chest of drawers

Approximate Time: 6 hours

Instructions:

Before

Old chest of drawers

1. Take all hardware off.
  2. Remove drawers.
  3. If they stick, sand down the tops of the drawers till they don't stick.
  4. Sand the top of the table till all varnish is off and you have raw wood.
  5. If you choose to stain, do it now.
  6. Clean well, both the table and the drawers.
  7. Apply polyurethane, at least 2 coats, letting dry between each one and using a piece of cardboard to knock down any bubbles you may have. Just run the cardboard across the top a few times. It works great.
  8. Apply primer paint to the bottom of the table and drawers.
  9. After that is dry, spray paint the bottom part of the table, including drawers. It is better to give it two thin coats than one coat because it will eliminate the possibility of runs.
  10. After thoroughly dry, apply glazing paint that has been mixed with a small amount of water (I would say about 25% water) immediately wiping off most of it. It is desirable to leave some in the cracks and crevices of the design. I used a rag for this, but you can use a brush.

After

Top of chest of drawers

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Showing: Comments Sort

By Lee 150 Flag

A very well done job. What a difference 6 hours and some work made. Kudos to you, and thanks for sharing your handiwork with us. Lee

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Elaine S. 39 243 Flag

Thanks Lee. It was fun to do!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Keeper 58 1,055 Flag

Beautiful job. 2 thumbs up. Thanks for sharing with photos.

Keeper

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

I've been waiting to see a photo of your project and it was well worth the wait, Elaine! You did a beautiful job! Will you come visit and do my coffee table for me? I'd gladly cook oodles of good meals for you in exchange ;-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By julie 6 83 Flag

Looks lovely Elaine, Is your topcoat (for the bottom part) like a varnish with a metallic sheen to it? That's clever! Nice job!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By pam munro 522 790 Flag

What a nice & fancy job! I just sand out imperfections & touch up the finish - If I sand, I use an oil finish - either Watkins - or, I have even used just baby oil! Very easy! (but I always perfer the wood itself.)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Heather Stimmel 2 31 Flag

Gorgeous! I love frugal projects such as these. There's not much better than getting something for free, and making it beautiful again with minimal cost and effort;)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Elaine 173 889 Flag

For Ausjulie, yes the bottom is a metallic paint. It is "Caramel Latte" by Krylon and then is glazed over that with a metallic craft paint by DecoArt called "Rich Expresso".

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Wood End Table
Refinishing an End Table
Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherAugust 26, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Porcelain Sink
Refinishing an Old Porcelain Sink
Wood Veneer Drawer
Refinishing Wood Veneer Furniture
Wood End Table
Refinishing an End Table
Mahogany Cabinet Door
Refinishing Mahogany Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:53:38 PM on 10.0.0.127 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings