Removing Weeds Between Pavers

Apart from using a sharp knife, does anyone have any tips for removing weeds growing between paving slabs without resorting to harsh, environmentally-unfriendly chemicals?

By Pie 59 from Cambridge, UK

Best Answer

I've been told that you can spray vodka on those weeds and they will die.

Best Answer

My favorite is a gardener's flame weeder. It's a long wand attached to a propane tank, and you flame the weeds until their juices boil and they look bright green. Kills anything small, and like once a month you would re-treat anything with a bigger root. I like it because it's just so satisfying. No need to burn them to ash.

I'll tell my parents to try this out,& see what happens & what they'd think of it. Thank you

Best Answer

Buy a gallon of vinegar, remove one cup and add 1 cup of salt, shake to mix then add the cup of vinegar back to the jug. Spray on the cracks in the pavers. Be careful because it will kill anything it touches.

Best Answer

Boil water in the kettle and pour it over the weeds. Works every time!

Best Answer

Pour salt on the weeds. I usually get cheap salt for projects like this.

I poured full strength vinegar between the cracks of sidewalk and the weeds began wilting in the sun w/i an hour. The next day they were dead. Do regularly as needed.

Boiling water.

Lorelei you should know that the vinegar will also kill tree roots so be careful how much you apply. You only need 2 tablespoons to gallon of water and 1 tablespoon of cooking oil works too. Sparingly near roots of things you want.

Boiling water really works great. Cost is minimal.

BORAX sold in the cleaning products section of your local stores is great for killing the weeds. Do not use 'close' to any flowers/trees. BORAX also keeps ants away. The instructions for weeds: "...sprinkling borax into all the crevices where you've seen weeds grow. When applied around foundation of your home, it will also keep ants away..." Also, Borax good for many other things around the house.

REF: Reader's Digest: Extraordinary Uses for ordinary things --ISBN 0-7621-0705-7

Vinegar is excellent and a healthy alternative to harsh chemicals that are bad for the environment :-) Using Vodka makes sense, too, because vinegar is a byproduct of fermentation ;-) I 'mist spray' full strength on non-windy days and am sure to use a piece of cardboard to protect any non-weed foliage that might be right next to the weeds I am spraying.

Weeds Between Pavers
Removing Weeds Between Pavers
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsApril 15, 2009
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
A nicely planted organic vegetable garden.
Preventing Weeds When Planting Your Garden
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
🎉
🎄