Microwave Keeps Tripping Breaker

My old microwave died and tripped the breaker. I bought a new microwave and now every time I start it the breaker trips. I exchanged that microwave for another new one, same thing. I have had our maintenance guy out to look at it and he can't figure it out. The crock-pot still works. Any ideas?

By jtowery from Jacksonville, NC

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Sounds like the old microwave must have operated at a lower wattage than the new one, or the circuit is overloaded. You may need to add another breaker.

May 25, 2011 Flag

The microwave in our kitchen trips the circuit breaker at random. We can be using the microwave for five days, and it won't trip it. Then, we can just close the microwave door, at other times, and that will trip it. We have a 10A circuit breaker.

Can I change that one for a 15A? I've already replaced the 10A once and it still continues to do the same. We've isolated the problem to one outlet; there's two outlets connected to that circuit breaker, but there's nothing connected to that second one, it's outdoors. And, there's nothing else connected to that outlet or circuit breaker.

Any assistance would be great.

By Joey Z.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A Microwave should be on it's own 15a breaker. Most MW manuals tell you this. A 10a breaker will act as you mention.

You can change to a 15a breaker if you are sure the wire to the breaker will carry the 15a or more amps.

You would do well to change it to the outside outlet circuit if the rules above are followed. As an outside outlet would not likely to be used as much and an inside outlet on the same circuit.

Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalNovember 23, 2010
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:15:23 PM on 10.0.0.27 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.