Using It All - Deodorant

Does anyone know how to use or combine that last little bit of deodorant? I have been saving the containers and wonder if I scrape the last bit out of the applicator can it be combined in some way to make one full stick, maybe melting it in some way and letting it dry? Thanks.

By crazy Amy from Rochester

Collect all those deodorant ends, put them in a glass custard cup, microwave for 45 seconds or till melted then pour into a recycled deodorant container. This is best if you use the same deodorant all the time otherwise the combination of perfumes may end up gross. good luck.

Personally I wouldn't mix different brands because of chemical differences and especially if some are regular and others are anti-perspirants and especially not in a microwave.

I just scrape out the last with the handle of a spoon, place it in the palm of my hand, rub my fingers in to it and apply with my fingers and then wash my hands. Works just as well ;-)

I turn the dial on one used deodorant is all the way down. I scoop out the leftover deodorant from the other containers and place in a small pyrex custard cup. I then put that custard cup in a small pan that has about one inch of water in it (water bath). I heat the pan until the water has heated up and the deodorant has melted. Then I take the custard cup out, cool the melted deodorant slightly, and pour it into the old deodorant container that has been turned down. Since the old deodorant has been left in this container, it seals the bottom and the melted deodorant doesn't leak out. I do this over some old newspaper in case of spills. I've found that melted leftovers from three containers - and the fourth as the base - usually fills a container to the top. I've never had a problem with mixing deodorant brands, deodorants and antiperspirants, or scents. It's like using three and getting the fourth free.

You can melt down old lipsticks the same way. Just line the sides of the tube with parchment paper that you peel off once cool. I've mixed brands, colors, added shades that didn't suit me or were too light or too dark, and blended them into shades that I really liked. It's a great way to use lipstick leftovers that you'd otherwise throw away.

I also melt down chapsticks/lip glosses. I know they don't cost much, but we live on a tight budget. Rather than mix flavors, I usually melt one, pour it in and allow it to cool before adding the next flavor. I sometimes add an unflavored one between layers since you don't want to mix some flavors --like mint and root beer.

Photo of a stick of Sure deodorant.
Saving Money on Deodorant
Better Living Frugal Living TipsDecember 27, 2009
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Boy in Devil Costume
Making a Devil Costume
Dried lime cut in half.
Recipes Using Dried Limes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes