Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning With Ammonia

In Praise of Ammonia: Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly. I haven't found anything yet that it doesn't work on, just DON'T mix ammonia with bleach, EVER!

You can also put it in a glass bowl in your oven over night and just wipe clean within 24 hours. (Really messy ovens may take longer.)

By Bea

Editor's Note: Ammonia is the active ingredient in many bottled cleaners. Make sure you use it with ventilation. It is great for removing old wax from linoleum floors, too.

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By (Guest Post)02/02/2009

To clean my combs and hair brushes, I add a little amonia to hot water and let them soak a little while. Lifts the dirt quickly.

It's also great for cleaning blinds. I put them in the bath tub for soaking. One at the time with the ceiling fan on.

By Arlene (Guest Post)08/27/2005

I soak my old costume jewelry in ammonia for a few seconds or minutes and it comes out shiny bright and clean. Be sure to rinse in clear water after soaking.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.