Pet PagesPets

Darling Miss Emma (Great Dane/Lab)

I rescued Emma as a very young puppy. She had been horribly neglected and I'll be the first to say that due to her circumstances, I probably spoiled her a little more then I have my other dogs, past and present.

She's a Great Dane/Labrador mix, she's not a big gal, only 63 pounds but she's sleek, lanky, and very fast.

All my dogs get the basic obedience training required to be good pets, but Emma loves the training, and she learns very quickly.

Squirrels run in fear from her with good reason. She's the only dog I've ever had fast enough to actually catch a squirrel. I don't like it when she does, but dogs do what dogs do. If that wasn't bad enough, she actually eats them too. I smell her breath every time she comes back inside just in case she caught her own supper. I want to be sure when she kisses me, I get the sweetest of kisses.

I ring a cowbell before I let her out to warn the wildlife that she's on her way.

Whenever I sneeze, no matter where I am, she comes to me. I have no idea why but she does. My husband, on the other hand, could sneeze all day and she could care less.

This afternoon, we had our usual, afternoon thunder storm. I wanted to try an experiment on her to see her reaction. It was interesting. I hid behind a door and sneezed. I watched her go down the hallway and search each room and was unable to find me. For a few seconds, she just stood still and didn't move. I could see she was puzzled and was trying to figure out where I was. I was pleasantly surprised to see her sniff the air and come directly to where I was hiding.

A few months back, I went on a short trip to visit my sister, and I made the mistake of calling home. I asked my husband to put the phone on speaker so I could say good night to our dogs. Well, it really upset Emma. For 10 days, my husband let her sleep in bed with him. He said she was the saddest thing to watch and that I was never to ask him to hold the phone for her again.

Black dogs in general are very hard to take any sort of really decent pictures of, so I pay attention to background, expressions, and anything else that shows the personality.

I love this picture of Emma and her favorite toy. I'm teaching myself to use Photoshop, and I cleaned up the picture and made a frame to put around it.

Emma is very gentle and even, in some cases, polite. I taught her to say "please" by teaching her to hold up her right front paw as if it's hurt. Anytime she gets a treat, I always tell her to say please and she does. She just celebrated her 7th birthday and is starting to show a little gray around her muzzle.

Though she's not slowing down yet, I like to say she's maturing and always on the look out for my next sneeze!

By Pritchard C. from Madison, AL

I've never voted for a pet picture yet because they are all so adorable; but I couldn't resist voting for your girl.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

She is adorable and does have that half and half look of both breeds. Take good care and give her a hug from me.

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

Miss Emma is quite beautiful and sounds as if she has the sweetest most thoughtful personality (I am not surprised because Danes and Labs are the best)! I love it that you ring the warning cowbell! ;-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Wonderful. Great pics. Emma is a charmer. Hope she wins! By the way, if she is that fast (my dog tried and tried, never caught one) you might want to think about agility training. It takes a dog who learns quickly and is fast. I enjoy it so much and so does my lovely Daisy dog.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

A dog's behavior reflects the way they are loved and treated. Your Darling Miss Emma is now showing off the way you've treated and loved her. She has one of the most happy and charming faces I've seen in a dog.

I'm so glad you were able to take her and undo the damage that was done to her as just a little puppy. Surely there is a special destiny for people who are mean to our animals. I would not want to trade places with them.

Darling Miss Emma lives up to a name in every way, and we thank you for sharing her photos and story with us.

HokeyPoke

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Here's a Thumbs Up for your Darling Miss Emma. She is such a sweet faced fur-baby.

Thank you for sharing her with us.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a great job you did on the photo!

Emma is a beautiful girl and is taking care of you by finding you when she hears you sneeze. You are so loved by her and I am sure you love her the same. I am so glad you two found one another! Thank you so much for sharing, and I am giving this a thumbs up.

Note: My rooster says bless you when I sneeze by growling, it is so funny. I laughed out loud when i read the part where you said your husband could sneeze all day and Emma could care less. that was so funny!

Blessings,

Robyn

Reply Like this photo? Yes

A beautiful and charming face and personality. What more could a person ask for than to have a faithful and loving dog at their side? She is getting my thumbs up too.

ww

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I just saw this today, but had to vote & say what a lovely story this is! I'm so happy to read about all the good people who rescue dogs & cats & give them a wonderful life. Miss Emma is a beautiful dog & your pictures of her are terrific, you have indeed captured her personality & expressions. Best wishes to you all & thanks for sharing her story!

Reply Like this photo? Yes