Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

Category Carpet
cat on carpet
When you kitty has an accident on the carpet it can be difficult to remove the pee and the odor. This is a guide about removing cat pee and odor from carpet.

How to remove that cat pee smell from carpet

I've now tried almost everything and have found one thing that works.

1. Rip the carpet and pad back.

2. Pour straight bleach on the floor.

3. Put a very small amount of dish detergent on a scrub brush and brush the bleached floor.

4. Let sit for about 5 minutes.

5. Clean excess bleach mixture off floor with old towels.

6. Use a bleach, water, and Dawn mixture and scrub the bottom and top of the carpet and let dry.

7. Flip carpet and padding back into it's original spot.

If it starts to smell again, cut the padding out where it's stained and repeat the bleaching steps above.

And if it still starts to smell again, cut the carpet out and replace with new carpet.

By kittyvision from Greenville, SC

If you value your carpet, do not use bleach on the top or bottom of it as it will discolor. Try vinegar instead. That usually takes "bad" smells out.

I think I'd be very afraid to mix bleach and dawn together, It seems to me I read that the combination can produce toxic fumes. I would use a liquid washing machine detergent in it's place, it's made to mix with bleaches--no toxic fumes.

Please do not ever use bleach near your carpet. I am a certified carpet technician who worked for a carpet supply company for six years there is a very simple solution to rid your carpet of urine smell. It is a chemical called a QUAT it comes under many brands and is used in hospitals and food manufacturing plants. This is highly concentrated and will last for quite some time, also completely safe for carpet, upholstery, and hard surfaces. Also can be used to remove mildew and mold in water restoration applications.

Please can you tell me where I would buy this from?

My daughter is moving out of an apartment and the management company tells her they have a device that will detect cat pee in the carpet because cat pee doesn't dry - has ANYONE heard of this before? I've contacted the company that sells this device - it is actually used to detect moisture from water damage, water, etc. nothing about cat pee, and am awaiting a response from them. I cannot find anywhere on the internet if cat pee truly does not dry - I need to find out how they can use this as a defense before we do the walk through.

Charob

We bought a house thar sat for at least 8 mos. and they had a cat that peed in a corner. My husband had to rip the wall out because we tried everything to remove the smell and it wouldn't go away. Low and behold the wall and wood were STILL WET!!!!!

I looked for an answer, and I'm pretty sure cat pee dries, but I think the reason they said this is because if a pet pees somewhere, they usually pee in the same place over and over again, which would mean it is never dry in that area. All you need to determine cat pee is a black light. Cat pee glows.

Any type of urine stain on a carpet that has not been cleaned with an enzyme cleaner CAN BE detected with a black light. I am not if the device you mentioned can be used, but i do know that we use the black light method when we are training new puppies as sometimes you can miss where they go.

We have a cat who was born with deformed front paws. Unfortunately, he doesn't like using a litter box because of this. Also unfortunately, my husband doesn't like picking up his dirty clothes. The combination means that my husband's pile of dirty clothes often become our cat's litter box. Although a pile of clothing isn't as thick or absorbent as carpeting (which we don't have), I can guarantee you that peed on clothes definitely do dry! I would think the black light method (which is true) would be more effective at detecting old urine.

Good luck with your walk through,

Kathy

Up, it's a liquid... and not a thick one at that. Whoever told your daughter that is an absolute twit. Have her ask them if they ever learned about a little thing called "Evaporation."

As to any cat damage, yes a good enzyme cleaner (I've had better luck with those at cleaning supplies) and a Rug Doctor will do the trick. If you can get a Bissell, even better, since it will let you put down the solution and you can let the enzymes sit and work, without immediately sucking them back up again. If the carpet is REALLY bad, I'd let it set over night at least.

Also, if there is hard wood floor under your daughter's carpeting, cat pee ruins it. And if there are baseboard heaters, the smell gets sucked in. I had to pay a previous landlord to repair the damage.

Cat pee does dry, however it is made up of some chemicals that glow under a black light. A black lightbulb that can fit into any regular table lamp can be found at Wal-Mart or other stores - especially this time of year. The glowing pee sounds like a Halloween story, but I actually learned it in college in one of my Veterinary Technology classes.

You can get urine neautralizer at janitor supply places. It will make the smell go away, then shampoo the rugs well. Of course cat pee dries. They just want your security money instead of returning it. I bought a house from a vet that had ten cats & dogs living there, what a stink! I stripped the carpets, killed the fleas and neautralized the floors. Just like new again.

Cat pee does dry and smell terrible--- there are some products on the market that will eliminate the odors if they are not soaked through carpet. I had to clean all my upholstered chairs after I moved. My male didn't like the upsets and decided to claim his territory. Doesn't smell like that now. Carpet is another matter because the padding soaks it up and keeps the smell.

Cat pee does dry. It can be detected using a blacklight. Of course, if you get cat pee that has dried in a carpet (for instance) wet again, it'll stink to high heaven! I had this happen to me about 10 years ago. I found a product at the pet supply called "Nature's Miracle" & it specifically attacks the dried cat pee & chemically breaks it down & gets rid of it. However, the stink will get worse for a day or two while it does it's job, but it's well worth it. Cheaper than replacing a carpet, for sure.

Good Luck!!

Cat pee dries but the urine salts are very absorbant. The salts absorb moisture from humidity in the air. That moisture can be detected with a moisture sensor.

this sounds like a scam to me, just do the walk thru and take an empty spray bottle, preferably new and in a sealed store bought package, and a video camera. Tape the walk thru under the disguise that you want proof of how you are leaving the apartment, (a good idea for any one that rents) when they "detect" urin simply open you spray bottle and walk to the sink, fill it with ordinary water walk over to a different spot on the carpet and mist it, have them check this freashly sprayed area, when this device says that is urine, politly ask them to prove the first spot was not just water, they should have quite a hard time doing so if you are savy with your words, not to mention you'll have one heck of a funny video.

Yes, cat pee DOES dry... it just has an oily texture to it that does leave a residue unless cleaned properly.

The only device that would be able to differentiate cat pee from other substances would be a blacklight.

Cat pee does indeed dry - but under a black light it will show (glow). But so won't spit, blood and other bodily fluids. Even though the stain looks gone.

I'd suggest Anti Icky Poo, or other products that contain bacteria (not just enzymes). The bacteria in Anti Icky Poo is purportedly hardier than the other brands such that it can withstand some disinfectants, not a problem unless you tried disinfectants first. The bacteria will spread to follow its food source (the cat pee, wherever it managed to soak) until it has been consumed. It might temporarily stink worse until the bacteria have finished. The phosphorus salts in the urine are not affected, and will still show under black light. But they can be removed from the surface by conventional shampooing.

My cat who is being treated for a UTI is adamant that he will continue to pee on the carpet in the same area rather than use his litter box; however, he does use the box at times, it varies. I've use peroxide, vinegar, and baking soda in past, but I am out of it at home. Sometimes it worked; sometimes it didn't. My question: I do have rubbing alcohol in my cabinet at this time,. Does anyone know if this will discourage a cat from peeing on the carpet once he smells this strong, unpleasant odor?

By Kathy

I don't know if rubbing alcohol will help at all. I'd be wary of pouring/spraying it onto my carpet. You should go pick up an enzymatic cleaner the next time you're at the store. I've gotten some at Petsmart and Wal-Mart, but have seen it at other stores, too. Head to the area of the store where they have pet cleaning supplies. The enzymes actually break down the biological residue, so there is no odor left for the cat to find.

If your cat has been using the same spot repeatedly, I suggest you treat the area a few times, making sure you saturate it (follow the directions on the bottle). I had a cat that decided he liked to poop in a certain corner of our computer/kitty litter room. I got one of those plastic carpet protectors from an office supply store (so that a rolling desk chair doesn't dig into the carpet) and placed it over the spot he was using. I don't know if it was the change in texture, or if he couldn't smell the spot anymore, but he stopped (and went back to the box).

Good luck with the pee, and I hope your kitty is feeling better soon!

I have read that it is common for a cat to pick a soft place to urinate when then have a UTI. As the person previously said, saturate the carpet because if the urine goes down deep and you are only spraying the top it will be ineffective. I don't know if there is a training pad (like they have for puppies) that could be put on top of the litter to make a softer feel to his feet until his UTI is cleared up or not, but it might be worth getting a Chux to try.

My cats do not like the smell of lemon, citrus. It might be worth it to squeeze the juice of one in that area and see if he stops using it. Grate some peel on the area! Of course, he may just switch areas, cats are strange creatures. I have four; three males and one female. Never thought I would like cats but these adopted us one at a time. And I find them quite interesting.

I mixed up white vinegar and water l/2 cup of white vinegar to gal or less of water. Then I took a couple handfuls of baking soda and put on the place where the pee was and all around it making a white place on the carpet and poured the hot vinegar water into that place. It fizzes and soaks all the way to the base floor, ours is concrete, and then I take the shampooer and just pull the liquid out of the carpet.till no water comes up and let dry. After it is dry I put garlic powder and Black Pepper sprinkled all around the area he liked. He didn't go there again. Doesn't like the garlic and pepper and the vinegar and soda took care of the odor. This is just what I have done that worked.

If your cat keeps peeing in the same spot, shampoo area then put cardboard box on top then the litter pan, keep changing paper box,helps get rid of order, I also put plastic on top of box then litter pan. It has helped me with my cat using his box again and the plastic catches accidents which you roll up and throw away.

The is a product called Comfort Zone with feliway (onlynaturalpet.com and many pet stores). It is pricey. It comes in a spray and diffuser. Cats will not mark where it is sprayed. It works very well (spray is best, diffuser helps) but you must use it daily, or even twice daily. Be sure you have gotten rid of as much odor as you can with the enzymatic cleaner (it can take a day or two to dry) I like Natures Miracle. Many pet stores carry it.

I took my cat to the vet and she did have a UTI. She still is peeing in the same spot. What do I do? We live in a an apartment and that will be a pretty fee when we are out of here. I did get a new cat box, the Tidy Cat Breeze one, with pellets. Should I go back to the old way or the electronic way?

By Kim from Mishawaka, IN

I suggest you try an enzymatic cleaner. It'll break down urine, feces, vomit (biological wastes) so that the cat doesn't come back to the same spot. You'll have to saturate the area to get down to the padding, and you might want to treat the area twice, just to be sure.

Just a few days ago, someone posted about a dog peeing on the floor. Maybe it'll be of some help to you.

http://www.thri  9104376.tip.html

If you look further down this page I have listed a recipe that most folks have in their cabinets and I do guarantee it works. Please scroll down to see it. I would post it again, but then it would be repetitive.

Hope it works for you, it has worked for us in many situations including a cat that got into my husband's van (we forgot to close the back door all night long) and he no longer has that nasty smell.

Anonymous

If I were you I would go to the landlord and demand they do something about the smell! Sorry to say this but you should have done it from day one being there. The landlord, do they know about the smell? They can ultimately go back to previous renter and make them pay for professional treatment to carpets and if that don't work you just might get new carpet out of the deal, but if you wait too long to say anything the landlord could blame you for the problem and you would be stuck paying for it, thinking you had someone over that brought a cat and that is how it happened. If I were you I would cover your butt and get something done about it!

Anonymous

Vinegar will help a lot.

How do I use ammonia to get cat urine out of a carpet?

You don't use ammonia at all as urine is ammonia. Anti icky PPP is the product you want. Find it on line. I will not use anything else in my home. As long as you have pets you need cleaner so spring for a bottle and keep it under the sink.

My 9 yr old cat has been going potty on my rug and I can't get rid of the smell. I have tried products that don't seem to work and was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how to keep my home fresh and clean? He is on medication now for a UTI, thank God!

By Kelly from Medina, OH

Answers:

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

A product called XO is non-chemical so it will not harm pets or humans! It is used in all hospitals and nursing homes. I found out about it watching problem solutions on www.qvc.com; Don Aslett is the largest janitorial service in the USA and perhaps the world. You can order it from there or from his own site. I was unable to locate it locally, even in all janitorial supply stores.

This product works. And works fantastically! It is very concentrated so a little will last a very long time. It is the only product made that I am aware of that gets rid of the smell completely and totally. You can sign up to get emails when his products will be aired; they have very strict rules as to the product. It must do exactly what it claims it will do. (And this one does. Check out his fabulous microfiber mop as well; worth every penny.) (10/05/2010)

By MzScarlett

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

Items you will need:

Items you will need to find all the old urine spots that have dried, but still smell:

You probably have these items in your home already, if not they can be purchased at any store such as Wal-Mart or even the dollar store.
Using any plastic container mix the solution as follows:

Mix well using a plastic spoon. If you have a large area or more than one area to clean you may want to use a bigger bowl and mix enough solution according to your needs. Once it is mixed put into your empty plastic bottle. Always discard unused portion because the oxygen in the peroxide mixed with these other items can make it explode. You have to find all the old stains and odors because they give off an odor to your dog or cat that has them coming back to do their business in the same places. I found this works great for me and you don't have to get down on all fours smelling your carpet.

If you have a black light shut off all the lights in your home and turn on the black light. The urine in the carpet or on the furniture will glow. I did not believe this until I tried it and it really works and let me tell you I could not believe at all the urine spots on my carpet. There were places I hadn't even realized my cat could get to. Once you find the urine spots, then pour the solution evenly on the whole spot, making sure to saturate the carpet and padding under the carpet (you may want to do a spot test on your carpet or furniture first, but it has never left a stain on anything I have used it on).

Once the whole urine area has been saturated block it off to keep people or pets from walking on it until it is completely dry. Do not blot up any of the formula because the area needs to be saturated thoroughly and then dry on its own. After it has dried, vacuum the spot to remove any white powder left over from the baking soda.

Scotch-Guarded carpet takes a while to absorb the liquid, but after it sits there a while it will absorb into the carpet and padding. You may have to pour a little extra solution on this type of carpet. It may take a few days to clean room by room, but it will be well worth it in the end.

Just remember with older odors saturate really well with the solution and let stand until dry. You can also use this on most anything. This solution has worked on both fresh and old odors. The main ingredient in this is the peroxide because it works the same on the odor as it does on a cut or a sore, it brings the urine to the top of the carpet and it is removed by the oxygen molecules. (10/19/2010)

By auntielala12000

How do I get rid of cat urine odor in my carpets?

By Claire from Bristol, NH

Answers:

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

You could buy Glade's odor removing carpet powder. You just apply that, let it sit for a few minutes, then vacuum it up and tada! Nice smelling carpet! Or you could get some Febreeze. (06/22/2010)

By ineedanswers

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

I have seven cats and three dogs. I use a product called SCOE10X for accident spots of the liquid and solid variety. It is a biologic product that actually eats and destroys all three parts of urine. It completely destroys the odor and my pets are not tempted to hit the same spot. My husband is a wildlife photographer. SCOE10X works so well that I use it to "de-human" my husband's clothes before he heads out for a shoot. Even notoriously good sniffers like deer have a hard time locating him! (08/17/2010)

By Jenna1944

How do I remove cat urine smell from my carpet?

By Louie from Fontana, CA

Answers:

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

I suggest an enzymatic cleaner. The enzymes eat up the urine, feces, vomit, etc. We got Petzyme at Petsmart; I think that's their brand. But you can find other enzymatic cleaners elsewhere.

They had some spray bottles, and a big jug of concentrate (mix in your own bottle). We went with the big jug, and it's working well for us. Best of luck! (03/02/2010)

By mrs.story

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

These enzyme cleaners are simply amazing! They work by making the organic components in the pee, blood, and hairballs quickly break-down and degrade naturally. If you can find it, I like the brand called "Out!" (only $5). You saturate the carpet and padding with the enzyme pet cleaner then you cover the area with a piece of plastic (like a recycled plastic bag) The plastic keeps the product wet so it can continue to work. If the area is really soiled, repeat the process.

If there is still a stubborn odor, you can spray or pour cheap hydrogen peroxide on the area. But don't use peroxide before the enzyme cleaner or it will kill the good bacteria and enzymes in the cleaner. Before using peroxide on a dark-colored carped do a spot test for colorfastness.

If you like, you can follow this with a 1 part vinegar 3 parts water mixture to remove any additional smells. Never use ammonia to clean up pet stains because the ammonia smell reminds the pet of the ammonia in their pee and they will continue to go back to that area and pee!

To help keep a cat from going back to pee in that area, use a citrus-scented room spray because many cats hate the smell of orange and citrus.

There is another veterinary strength enzyme pet cleaner called "OutRight" it will even remove skunk odor. You will pay 5 times as much as for the "Out!" brand, especially if you buy it at a vet, but it is amazing stuff. If you buy this product, be sure it says "veterinary strength". (03/02/2010)

By Cyinda

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

Do not use Lysol or bleach or any disinfectant/cleaner on cat pee or you will ruin your ability to remove the odor effectively. This may account for some who say "enzymes didn't work" because they used them after they used some sort of disinfectant first. Enzymes seem to be the only solution to these problems, as they actually eat the urine and turn it into something that's easier to deal with. But using disinfectants "first" will "kill" those enzymes on contact.

It's best to do a little prep.

1. Do a modest flush with clean water and absorb immediately, get the majority of the urine out.

2. Apply an enzyme liberally and let it sit till dry. If you still smell cat pee, simply repeat this process.
    It's important not to get carpet or furniture very wet

If you suspect it's getting too wet set up a fan directly on the area. On carpet, you can also use a large mound of table salt on the wet area after you've removed as much liquid as possible with paper towels; salt will absorb an amazing amount of remaining liquid. It will harden like a rock overnight and you simply toss the hardened salt in the garbage and vacuum the remainder. Hope this helps. Regards. (03/10/2010)

By steveo

I had to put my cat down after she developed stones. I want to get a new kitten, but I'm afraid he will urinate in the spot on the carpet where my other cat did when she was sick.

I have 2 boys and 2 male cats that just got fixed. There are black marks on my carpet through out the house.

What really gets rid of cat urine odors, cheaply? No, I won't give up my babies, but something has GOT to work. Has anyone had any success at all without it costing an arm and a leg?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.