Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

When you kitty has an accident on the carpet it can be difficult to remove the pee and the odor. This is a guide about removing cat pee and odor from carpet.

July 2, 2016 Flag

How do I use ammonia to get cat urine out of a carpet?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You don't use ammonia at all as urine is ammonia. Anti icky PPP is the product you want. Find it on line. I will not use anything else in my home. As long as you have pets you need cleaner so spring for a bottle and keep it under the sink.

October 4, 2004 Flag

My daughter is moving out of an apartment and the management company tells her they have a device that will detect cat pee in the carpet because cat pee doesn't dry - has ANYONE heard of this before? I've contacted the company that sells this device - it is actually used to detect moisture from water damage, water, etc. nothing about cat pee, and am awaiting a response from them. I cannot find anywhere on the internet if cat pee truly does not dry - I need to find out how they can use this as a defense before we do the walk through.

Charob

this sounds like a scam to me, just do the walk thru and take an empty spray bottle, preferably new and in a sealed store bought package, and a video camera. Tape the walk thru under the disguise that you want proof of how you are leaving the apartment, (a good idea for any one that rents) when they "detect" urin simply open you spray bottle and walk to the sink, fill it with ordinary water walk over to a different spot on the carpet and mist it, have them check this freashly sprayed area, when this device says that is urine, politly ask them to prove the first spot was not just water, they should have quite a hard time doing so if you are savy with your words, not to mention you'll have one heck of a funny video.

Yes, cat pee DOES dry... it just has an oily texture to it that does leave a residue unless cleaned properly.

The only device that would be able to differentiate cat pee from other substances would be a blacklight.

Cat pee does indeed dry - but under a black light it will show (glow). But so won't spit, blood and other bodily fluids. Even though the stain looks gone.

July 12, 2011 Flag

My cat who is being treated for a UTI is adamant that he will continue to pee on the carpet in the same area rather than use his litter box; however, he does use the box at times, it varies. I've use peroxide, vinegar, and baking soda in past, but I am out of it at home. Sometimes it worked; sometimes it didn't. My question: I do have rubbing alcohol in my cabinet at this time,. Does anyone know if this will discourage a cat from peeing on the carpet once he smells this strong, unpleasant odor?

By Kathy

My cats do not like the smell of lemon, citrus. It might be worth it to squeeze the juice of one in that area and see if he stops using it. Grate some peel on the area! Of course, he may just switch areas, cats are strange creatures. I have four; three males and one female. Never thought I would like cats but these adopted us one at a time. And I find them quite interesting.

I mixed up white vinegar and water l/2 cup of white vinegar to gal or less of water. Then I took a couple handfuls of baking soda and put on the place where the pee was and all around it making a white place on the carpet and poured the hot vinegar water into that place. It fizzes and soaks all the way to the base floor, ours is concrete, and then I take the shampooer and just pull the liquid out of the carpet.till no water comes up and let dry. After it is dry I put garlic powder and Black Pepper sprinkled all around the area he liked. He didn't go there again. Doesn't like the garlic and pepper and the vinegar and soda took care of the odor. This is just what I have done that worked.

If your cat keeps peeing in the same spot, shampoo area then put cardboard box on top then the litter pan, keep changing paper box,helps get rid of order, I also put plastic on top of box then litter pan. It has helped me with my cat using his box again and the plastic catches accidents which you roll up and throw away.

January 13, 2011 Flag

I took my cat to the vet and she did have a UTI. She still is peeing in the same spot. What do I do? We live in a an apartment and that will be a pretty fee when we are out of here. I did get a new cat box, the Tidy Cat Breeze one, with pellets. Should I go back to the old way or the electronic way?

By Kim from Mishawaka, IN

I suggest you try an enzymatic cleaner. It'll break down urine, feces, vomit (biological wastes) so that the cat doesn't come back to the same spot. You'll have to saturate the area to get down to the padding, and you might want to treat the area twice, just to be sure.

Just a few days ago, someone posted about a dog peeing on the floor. Maybe it'll be of some help to you.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf69104376.tip.html

If you look further down this page I have listed a recipe that most folks have in their cabinets and I do guarantee it works. Please scroll down to see it. I would post it again, but then it would be repetitive.

Hope it works for you, it has worked for us in many situations including a cat that got into my husband's van (we forgot to close the back door all night long) and he no longer has that nasty smell.

If I were you I would go to the landlord and demand they do something about the smell! Sorry to say this but you should have done it from day one being there. The landlord, do they know about the smell? They can ultimately go back to previous renter and make them pay for professional treatment to carpets and if that don't work you just might get new carpet out of the deal, but if you wait too long to say anything the landlord could blame you for the problem and you would be stuck paying for it, thinking you had someone over that brought a cat and that is how it happened. If I were you I would cover your butt and get something done about it!

January 13, 2011 Flag

My 9 yr old cat has been going potty on my rug and I can't get rid of the smell. I have tried products that don't seem to work and was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how to keep my home fresh and clean? He is on medication now for a UTI, thank God!

By Kelly from Medina, OH

Answers:

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

A product called XO is non-chemical so it will not harm pets or humans! It is used in all hospitals and nursing homes. I found out about it watching problem solutions on www.qvc.com; Don Aslett is the largest janitorial service in the USA and perhaps the world. You can order it from there or from his own site. I was unable to locate it locally, even in all janitorial supply stores.

This product works. And works fantastically! It is very concentrated so a little will last a very long time. It is the only product made that I am aware of that gets rid of the smell completely and totally. You can sign up to get emails when his products will be aired; they have very strict rules as to the product. It must do exactly what it claims it will do. (And this one does. Check out his fabulous microfiber mop as well; worth every penny.) (10/05/2010)

By MzScarlett

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

Items you will need:

Items you will need to find all the old urine spots that have dried, but still smell:

You probably have these items in your home already, if not they can be purchased at any store such as Wal-Mart or even the dollar store.
Using any plastic container mix the solution as follows:

Mix well using a plastic spoon. If you have a large area or more than one area to clean you may want to use a bigger bowl and mix enough solution according to your needs. Once it is mixed put into your empty plastic bottle. Always discard unused portion because the oxygen in the peroxide mixed with these other items can make it explode. You have to find all the old stains and odors because they give off an odor to your dog or cat that has them coming back to do their business in the same places. I found this works great for me and you don't have to get down on all fours smelling your carpet.

If you have a black light shut off all the lights in your home and turn on the black light. The urine in the carpet or on the furniture will glow. I did not believe this until I tried it and it really works and let me tell you I could not believe at all the urine spots on my carpet. There were places I hadn't even realized my cat could get to. Once you find the urine spots, then pour the solution evenly on the whole spot, making sure to saturate the carpet and padding under the carpet (you may want to do a spot test on your carpet or furniture first, but it has never left a stain on anything I have used it on).

Once the whole urine area has been saturated block it off to keep people or pets from walking on it until it is completely dry. Do not blot up any of the formula because the area needs to be saturated thoroughly and then dry on its own. After it has dried, vacuum the spot to remove any white powder left over from the baking soda.

Scotch-Guarded carpet takes a while to absorb the liquid, but after it sits there a while it will absorb into the carpet and padding. You may have to pour a little extra solution on this type of carpet. It may take a few days to clean room by room, but it will be well worth it in the end.

Just remember with older odors saturate really well with the solution and let stand until dry. You can also use this on most anything. This solution has worked on both fresh and old odors. The main ingredient in this is the peroxide because it works the same on the odor as it does on a cut or a sore, it brings the urine to the top of the carpet and it is removed by the oxygen molecules. (10/19/2010)

By auntielala12000

October 4, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of cat urine odor in my carpets?

By Claire from Bristol, NH

Answers:

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

You could buy Glade's odor removing carpet powder. You just apply that, let it sit for a few minutes, then vacuum it up and tada! Nice smelling carpet! Or you could get some Febreeze. (06/22/2010)

By ineedanswers

Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet

I have seven cats and three dogs. I use a product called SCOE10X for accident spots of the liquid and solid variety. It is a biologic product that actually eats and destroys all three parts of urine. It completely destroys the odor and my pets are not tempted to hit the same spot. My husband is a wildlife photographer. SCOE10X works so well that I use it to "de-human" my husband's clothes before he heads out for a shoot. Even notoriously good sniffers like deer have a hard time locating him! (08/17/2010)

By Jenna1944

June 22, 2010 Flag

How do I remove cat urine smell from my carpet?

March 2, 2010 Flag

I had to put my cat down after she developed stones. I want to get a new kitten, but I'm afraid he will urinate in the spot on the carpet where my other cat did when she was sick.

December 26, 2009 Flag

I have 2 boys and 2 male cats that just got fixed. There are black marks on my carpet through out the house.

April 17, 2009 Flag

What really gets rid of cat urine odors, cheaply? No, I won't give up my babies, but something has GOT to work. Has anyone had any success at all without it costing an arm and a leg?

October 18, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

December 4, 2005 Flag

August 5, 2004 Flag
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetMay 9, 2013
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
🎉
🎄