Pressure Canning

I am canning leftover vegetable soup. I have a 6 qt. Elite platinum digital pressure cooker. It holds 4 pt. jars. I need to know how long to set it for.

By Lisa from Versailles, IN

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

It would probably depend on each brand of cooker, how long to set it for. Doesn't the instruction book have anything in it?

The instructions tell you everything up to this point. Follow canning recipe for the type of food you are canning and program the pressure cooking time for the specified time frame for the size of jars and type of food recipe you are using. I'm using pt jars. I just need a time limit. The pressure is automatic. Works great for food. I just need to get this canning figured out.

Thanks,

lisa

Call your county extension agent or get a Ball canning book-sold in most any store that sells canning supplies. The cost of the book is minimal and will serve you well if you plan to do much canning.

The product description of your Elite pressure cooker doesn't say that it can be used as a pressure canner. So you will need to freeze that soup unless you have an actual pressure canner.

September 11, 2011 Flag

At what pressure do you can green beans?

By Lynn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

10 pounds for 20-25 minutes for pints, 30 minutes for quarts. Fill canner with jars, put in recommended amt of water, put on lid and lock. with the Pressure gauge OFF, turn temp on high. When the steam is coming out of the pressure cooker gauge hole, put on the gauge. Regulate gauge, regulate heat (slowly) so the gauge giggles 3-4 times a minute. Then start timing. Let pressure cooker cool for at least 40 -60 minutes before opening. check out the Ball Caning book. It's very helpful.

Call your local extension office. The pressure might be different if you live at a high altitude. When I lived at a higher altitude, the extension agent that I spoke with told me to can the beans at 11 lbs. Couldn't hurt to double check.

September 3, 2011 Flag

Do you add any liquid when pressure canning salmon?

By Megan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use pint jars and do not add any extra fluids! Use 1/2-1 tsp. of salt, if desired, to each jar. Good luck.

Food and Recipes CanningSeptember 28, 2010
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:46:10 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.