Making Tree Party Decorations

How can I build a tree for a party prop? I am throwing a "rock fantasy" themed party for my daughter who is gonna be 13. She wants it to be like an enchanted forest with faeries and stuff but "dark". Her colors are black and purple. I have a few ideas but I need a lot of help on how to get started. We want to build trees with eco-friendly materials of course. Please help.

Use paper bags -- twist them to look like tree limbs. Make them bigger or bunched for the trunk. Or use brown craft paper. You can then use felt leaves, or just green paper leaves. All this would go on the wall or a column. Hope this helps!

You can get glitter felt at the dollar tree or Walmart. Stiffen one side with a 3 parts glue/1 part water mix. Before leting them dry, lay the unglued side on a tp or paper towel roll so they have a nice "curl". Then, cut them into Holly shapes, biggest on the bottom and smallest on the top.

Decide which size foam tree shape you want, and once the size is determined, cut the shapes and attach them to the tree from the bottom up, like shingles on a roof, so that the next row up covers the last row down, etc.

Mix and match the fabric and use straight pins to stick them to the foam, angleing the pin to make sure it doesn't just 'pull out' when you least expect it.

If you have lots of shiny fabric, like lame' or something "rock and roll", glue the entire piece, then cut the shapes out and do the same. Your pieces will be flatter, but you can use some glitter glue to make them curl a little.

Here is a shot of one done with country fabric, so you can get an idea. It wasn't done with a foam shape, but this tree is only 6" tall, so you will want yours bigger, or you can do one for each table, etc.

If you love what you did, can you share with us? Good luck!

I have used tree limbs and twigs of assorted sizes that I then spray paint the desired color and "planted"in a coffee can with plaster of paris. I have added spray glitter to the "trees"after I painted them.

Thank you, so much for the help all the ideas are very good and very helpful. I think that for this event though I will go with the twinted brown paper bags. S ounds real Easy! thanks a Bunch!

Holidays and Parties Parties DecorationsNovember 4, 2008
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Home Decorated for Girl's Birthday Party
Decorating Your Home for a Party