I use a cleaned out mayo jar to store my bacon, hamburger, tuna grease/oil in. Store it in the fridge until full, then toss in the trash when it's full. This saves it going down your drain and clogging it up or smelling up your trash, or worse yet, leaking through and getting everywhere.
Bacon grease is wonderful to add to potatoes when frying them and to keep them from boiling over when boiling on the stove. Bacon grease keeps vegetables from boiling over on the stove, rice from boiling over, and is a wonderful substitute for melted butter in a lot of baking (try in waffles and pancakes). Use bacon as the grease when frying meat that is dry...liver, deer, etc. I store my bacon grease in the fridge in order to use it and throw the hamburger and other meat greases out in the garbage after they have cooled and solidified. You are missing out on a "cheap" and tasty addition to your cooking by throwing the bacon grease out. A friend of mine once told me that the boiled potatoes that I made were so tasty that she did not add any butter or gravy on them because she liked the taste that the bacon grease (that I had added to the potatoes to keep them from boiling over) gave them.
If you use a glass jar to store grease in be VERY careful pouring hot grease into it...it could shatter...especially if you keep it in the fridge!!
We keep bacon grease in a specially made can in the microwave oven. We season with it & give the rest to our animals as we do with the other greases. We have Lots of cats & a couple of dogs. They Love the stuff & it helps their coats.
I reuse my coffee creamer containers and margarine bowls for collecting grease or spoiled food. You can just toss in trash, or save in freezer until full, replace lid, then toss. Saves a big mess in the trash bag, no leaks, plus saves your sink drains!
I love bacon grease too. I cook bacon and drop scrambled eggs into the grease on my plate. Umm, good! I've heard you can you it in cakes. The bg on pancakes sounds good too. Drooling.
We save our bacon grease to cook with too. I just want to caution people about feeding their pets the grease. Dogs and cats that are not used to eating this will get pancreatitis that can kill them without treatment in a vet hospital. This can be a very costly mistake and can cost upwards to $1000. for treatment!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!