Can a Spider Plant Survive Winter Outdoors?

Will a spider plant survive outside in a flower garden in the winter and come back in the summer?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I had a Spider Plant that was left outside all winter. I did not take care of it as you can guess. I left it alone and it came back on its own.

I live in South Texas and have left my spider plants out. They seem to freeze back a little but give them water and a little fertilizer stick after frost or freeze and they come right on out....just a pretty and green as before. I don't cut the old off until green appears.

Not sure if this applies because I live in Australia. However my area is zoned cool/temperate. Winter here now, and my spider plant is in it's pot on the (uncovered) balcony, and is doing beautifully.

I live in WA and I put my houseplants out in May and bring them in late August. They seem to love it out there and turn very lush.

I now live in Montana, zone 5 also. My spider plant didn't make it through the winter. Thankfully I have several others.

My backyard patio is lined with spider plants. Here in Florida I cover the spider plants with sheets in the winter when we are due for a hard freeze or frost. They always survive with the covers. Of course I remove the covers as soon as the temperatures are above freezing. They are hardly little plants.

No, houseplants do not survive the winter in the midwest. Bring it inside.

No, they can't. I live in your area.

p.s.

Extra info:

Tip burn in spider plants is usually caused by chemicals in the water. If you are using city water for your plants, undoubtedly, it has been chlorinated and very likely has been treated with fluoride, either of which will cause the burn. Using rainwater or distilled water will take care of this problem.

Winter in Akron, OH? NO.

Hello!

I live in Varna, Bulgaria (zone7b) on the black sea coast. Spider plants just LOVE it in the summer. Could I keep them outside during the winter in the containers?

My spider plant has never been inside. It lives in a long plastic planter on Californias central coast. Its has gone past root bound, has been divided, and flowers regularly. I am now trying to determine where to plant it in the garden- because the spiderttes keep trying to root in the leach field.. This plant turned almost translucent when we had several hard freezes last winter but came back even stronger.

It will not survive in Ohio, I leave mine hanging on the back porch all winter, but then I LIVE in South Fla. and we never even get frost. jjs

I live in South Carolina. Will my spider plant make it threw the winter outside? I live about 40 miles from the coast.

My spiders are loving it outside this summer. We'll see if they survive the winter. I'll cover them from the Pennsylvania snow.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Spider Plant on White Background
Growing Spider Plants
Home and Garden Gardening Plant InfoMay 2, 2008
Spider Veins
Spider Vein Remedies
Halloween Spider Crafts
Halloween Spider Crafts
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 27, 2016 at 9:02:42 AM on 10.0.2.150 in 618 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.