Pear Preserves Turned to Sugar Once Cooled

My home made pear preserves turned to sugar after cooling in the jars for a few days. Does anyone know if it is possible to reheat, add more liquid and can them back in clean jars?

By Daisy from Franklinton, NC

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I can preserves, jellies and jams all the time and have never had that happen. Are you following a recipe? I use the recipes out of the pectin box or Ball blue book canning book....not sure why that is happening unless there is not enough liquid. Cannot recommend recooking and recanning without knowing what recipe you are using. Let me know and I will try to help you. golfersmom85 AT yahoo.com

No, the pears will be nothing but mush. I think you might be using too heavy of a syrup in your preserves. Double check your recipe. You should not need pectin or other ingredient like for jams or jellies.

I have found a light syrup is great for pears.

Good luck.

Food and Recipes CanningJanuary 19, 2011
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Raspberry Preserves
Getting the Scorched Taste Out of Preserves
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:53:25 PM on 10.0.2.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.